Ways to improve the forums...

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Ways to improve the forums...

Post by fonixmunkee »

Hey all,

With spring around the corner and a new season of hiking and paddling Isle Royale, I wanted to take a few minutes and see if anyone had any suggestions for improvement to the forums. With the lull before the excitement of planning a new adventure, it's a good time to see what we can do to improve everyone's experience here.

Additionally, does anyone use Facebook or Reddit for anything Isle Royale-related? I started an Isle Royale Forums Facebook page (located here: https://www.facebook.com/Isle-Royale-Fo ... 3/?fref=ts), and am a moderator for the Reddit sub (located here: https://www.reddit.com/r/isleroyale). However, nothing has really been done with either of these products. Are they useful to anyone?

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Post them here...no idea is too obscure.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Tightlines01 »

First off I think I speak for all in saying THANK YOU for all your work. It's a little home away from the island for me....

To answer your questions,

I do use/subscribe to a couple of Isle Royale Facebook pages, this one would easily get attention from me also.

I use my phone mostly to keep up and frequently use tapa talk app. I'm not sure how good the site transfers to mobile or taps talk, but occasionally I have to get on a computer and go in traditionally for some features.

All in all I LOVE this site.
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I'll second the BIG THANK YOU!

I'm wondering is there a way one can adapt the site, to bring up a link automatically, in a different window, instead of having to right click and "open in another window"?

I would say, that is my "least favorite" function, on the site.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Thanks for the praise and the feedback.
jrwiesz wrote:I'm wondering is there a way one can adapt the site, to bring up a link automatically, in a different window, instead of having to right click and "open in another window"?
This is a great suggestion. I wonder how many other people would be interested in this option. I'll research the feasibility right now, but if anyone else would like to see this happen, post in the positive here.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I'll heap on praise for the site as well. And, also request the new window instead of replacing the page when links are clicked.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Vandy wrote:I'll heap on praise for the site as well. And, also request the new window instead of replacing the page when links are clicked.
Second, third, and fourth this suggestion! One of my little pet peeves with any site...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I will join the chorus. Many thanks for all the hard work that goes into this endeavor.

Opening a new tab would be an improvement. Not sure which version of phpBB we're using but after some research I've found this:

How to open a link with new tab in phpBB 3?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
JohnMcCormick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by JohnMcCormick »

One thing that came to mind as I've been dreaming up trips is that it would be nice to see when the Ferries are scheduled as part of the Calendar. I'm not sure it'd be easy to set up, but even a list of the schedules up at the top would be helpful. Ideally you'd be able to click on a day or look at the top header and know transportation options on/off the island that day.
Otherwise, no suggestions - I just need to do a better job reminding myself of this space! :)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Midwest Ed wrote: Opening a new tab would be an improvement. Not sure which version of phpBB we're using but after some research I've found this:

How to open a link with new tab in phpBB 3?
Thanks Midwest Ed. It lead me down the right path.

OK, thanks to your suggestions, all links to websites outside of the forums will open in a new tab/window. Thanks for the great idea.
JohnMcCormick wrote:One thing that came to mind as I've been dreaming up trips is that it would be nice to see when the Ferries are scheduled as part of the Calendar.
I'm on it. I might have to manually add the entries, but you're right...that'd be a huge help and is a great idea. Stay tuned.
Vandy
Trailblazer

Post by Vandy »

Awesome! Such collaborative work, too. ...And, quick turnaround from the point of suggestion. Thanks again for all you do.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Made my day! :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

Love both of these ideas.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MikeTokarz »

The one suggestion that came to mind was the opening a link in a new tab/window but since that's been covered I'd like to continue the trend of big thank you's. These forums have been invaluable in research and planning for Isle Royale. This is a great site. Great job getting it to where it is now
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, I've started experimenting with adding the boat schedules into the calendar. You can view two example days on May 7th and 8th here: app.php/calendar/5

As you can see, they fill up most of the day on the calendar. There's no way to tweak this, either. Do you guys think that this is acceptable, or is too much info on the page, and overshadowing the point of the calendar? I'd like your feedback, please.
Vandy
Trailblazer

Post by Vandy »

IMO it overshadows the point of the calendar. I do think it provides valuable information though. How difficult would it be to create and maintain a 'Transportation' calendar that could be referenced?