"Thanking" or "liking" forum posts

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

"Thanking" or "liking" forum posts

Post by fonixmunkee »

Dearest Isle Royale Forums users,

I've added the ability to "like" or "thank" someone for a specific post. It's similar to Facebook or Instagram's "like" feature

I was inspired by Microsoft Teams' implementation of the feature on our internal chat at work: it seems like an unobtrusive way to just say, "Hey, I see you," to someone who shares useful information.

Now you'll see a thumbs-up icon in the upper right corner of individual posts within a thread. It's next to other buttons like "report post." Clicking the thumb icon adds a "like" to the post and then updates the thread's rating on the main forum page. You'll see stars under any "liked" posts on the main pages for each subforum.

Let me know if you have any feedback on this new feature. If it sucks or is confusing, I'll take it away.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: "Thanking" or "liking" forum posts

Post by Ingo »

Sweet! Nice to be able to give the thumbs up without necessarily replying.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
pixtory
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by pixtory »

You do have to be logged in for it to appear. This make sense as you should be logged in to register a 'like' but I just spent WAY to long trying to figure out where it was before I realized I wasn't logged in. That's an observation not a complaint - I like the feature!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/someboldadventure/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVdhjH ... it2ycX6xUg
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I like this feature too! (As I just signalled by hitting the thumbs-up button on the OP.) There are a lot of cases --- photos and horrific puns* foremost among them --- where I'd like to acknowledge engagement/approval but don't have enough to say to justify adding another post to the thread.

(That said, I hope we don't get too hung up on the metrics. I have a brother-in-law whose love for travel gradually devolved into a love for having highly-rated trip advisor reviews. From the outside, this looked like a pretty severe blow to his quality of life.)

*I'm looking at whoever it is who made recent mention of livestock restrictions when another user expressed enthusiasm about taking their vacas to national parks . . . .
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

I like the ability to like/thank the author of a post without having to add another post.

The star rating at the bottom of the post and the metrics at the very right under the username/picture ("Has thanked", "Been thanked") are a unnecessary distraction, IMO.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

IncaRoads wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:31 am I like the ability to like/thank the author of a post without having to add another post.

The star rating at the bottom of the post and the metrics at the very right under the username/picture ("Has thanked", "Been thanked") are a unnecessary distraction, IMO.
As of this moment, your post has a "12.5%" rating, and I really don't know what that means. It makes things look negative when they certainly aren't!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

dcclark wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm As of this moment, your post has a "12.5%" rating, and I really don't know what that means. It makes things look negative when they certainly aren't!
As of this moment, fonixmunkee's first post in this thread currently has 8 likes; the most likes in this thread. Also, my post has 1 likes. Let us do the math for my star rating...

(1/8) * 100% = 12.5% <-- a ranked rating with respect to the most liked post
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

IncaRoads wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:23 pm
dcclark wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm As of this moment, your post has a "12.5%" rating, and I really don't know what that means. It makes things look negative when they certainly aren't!
As of this moment, fonixmunkee's first post in this thread currently has 8 likes; the most likes in this thread. Also, my post has 1 likes. Let us do the math for my star rating...

(1/8) * 100% = 12.5% <-- a ranked rating with respect to the most liked post
I certainly follow your math, but to me a "12.5% rating" also reads like "87.5% of people DISlike this post". The 10 stars under a post emphasize that there appears to be some sort of goal that such a post has failed to achieve.

Perhaps just a total count of "likes" on each post would make this clearer? (Another board I spend time on does things this way, and it works nicely.)

(I think we are agreeing with each other.)