Moskey Milky

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Moskey Milky

Post by chief54 »

Night sky looking towards Moskey Basin. One of the few clear nights I had on my 15 day VIP Photography Trip.
Attachments
IMG_0055p.jpeg
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Moskey Milky

Post by hooky »

Great photo.

Was the lack of clear nights due to weather or did smoke from all the fires have an effect?

So many of our sunset all summer were hazy due to all the smoke in the atmosphere, so just curious what that did to your opportunities.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Couple nights of thunderstorms and 5 or so days of smokeand at night The night I got this shot we had thunderstorms late afternoon through around 9 that night then about midnight it was clear.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

Chief,
This photo brings back fond memories of an Isle Royale moment. During a stay at Moskey Basin, the ranger who stopped by to check permits told me that Moskey Basin was a favorite spot. He said that you can see stars in the water.
When I woke up in the middle of that night, I understood what he meant. There was an unforgettable star show reflected in the still water. It felt like I was in the middle of one of those globes that you shake to make a snow scene.
Thanks so much for capturing the display in your stunning photo. Well done.
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!