link to some of our trip pics

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

tfoster
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

link to some of our trip pics

Post by tfoster »

In case this cold weather had anyone already missing the island ( :D ), I thought some of you might like seeing pics from our family trip to Isle Royale this past summer. It took me a long time to finally do something with them, but doing so made me want to go back already!

Some of the later pics might not be in proper trail order because they didn't come over in upload sequence, and at some point I got lazy with trying to put them back in order. I figured my friends would never know anyway - but I'm sure you guys will! :wink:

Another weird note - for the very astute, the dated pics are a day off from our trip report because that camera's time was off (I think the AM/PM) and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, going through the pics reaffirms what a perfect plan we ended up having for us as a family, and I really couldn't have done it without your help!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se ... b0d2e8f2f5
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: link to some of our trip pics

Post by Midwest Ed »

Great pictures. In reference to one of your comments about how hard you had to work preparing for this trip; you will be pleasantly surprised how much easier your next trip's planning will be and how your enjoyment will rise with your confidence.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Thanks for the terrific pictures.

FYI, those aren't Loons, they're Golden Eye's (ducks).
tfoster
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by tfoster »

Thanks!

And thanks for the correction about the loons / ducks - hee hee! I'm so goofy! One mistake I made was to leave our field book behind (for weight reasons). With all of the ducks and wildflowers, I was immediately regretting that decision!

We're planning a trip to Mammoth Cave and Shenandoah National Parks next year. Our options ended up being early April (the kids' spring break) or late June (right when school ends). We ended up picking early April, but we're not even thinking about backpacking. I figured the weather would still be pretty iffy and I don't want to risk everyone's being miserable, so we're staying at park lodging (both places). Our IR experience will still have us better prepared for our day outings though.

For the next backpacking trip (Maine in summer 2013?), I think you're right in that it will be easier, and that will be great! It's so nice already having all of the equipment and gadgets - the storage closet is full! And it made our regular camping trips this past summer easier too. Even when we were up in the Adirondacks camping when the hurricane came through and we had to evacuate, I felt a lot more prepared than I would have before.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

You should enjoy Shenandoah NP. You and your family will be surprised by how tame the deer are. They just walk around you and keep an eye on you. The views from the trails and the parkway are great.