Wolf Sighting at Siskiwit Bay on 9/7/13

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Wolf Sighting at Siskiwit Bay on 9/7/13

Post by BlackCoffee »

Just got back yesterday from my trip. It'll be a while before I get a report written, but I wanted to share this highlight. On our 2nd night (Saturday, September 7), my husband Craig and I were at Siskiwit Bay at Shelter #5. I was sitting at the picnic table outside of our shelter reading, and a wolf came out of the tall grass and started walking up the path to our shelter. Craig was down at the fire ring talking to a few people, and none of them could see what was going on. The wolf didn't seem to care that I was there, and I eventually had to stand up and "scare" it off, but it hung around long enough for Craig and a few others to catch on and get a glimpse of it before it was gone. It was small and it had a collar. A few photos are attached - the last one is to show approximately how far (close!) it was to where I was sitting. So amazing...
Attachments
1.Wolf-3-resized.jpg
2.Wolf-4-resized.jpg
3.Shelter-View.png
churchill330
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Wolf Sighting at Siskiwit Bay on 9/7/13

Post by churchill330 »

WoW..! Its neat to see the people in the background Oblivious as to what going on behind them.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

nice! Hopefully it wasnt hanging around because it was habituated. I would be thrilled with such an encounter!!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Thanks for sharing! In 2006 four wolves ran through the Siskiwit Bay campgrounds, saw us at the fire ring and then headed between the two shelters and into the woods. None of us were able to take a picture of them. Earlier that day they were up the shore about a 1/2 mile (going towards Island Mine) making noise (barking/howling), etc.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Nina, you are so lucky to see a wolf again. My friend Jerry and I ran into you and Craig in 2009. We were headed to Lake Ritchie and you were heading towards W. Chickenbone. I remember you saw a wolf on the trail during that trip and got a picture. Can't wait to read your trail report and see the pictures.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Such a cool encounter. I have a pic of a camp fox doing the exact same thing at the same shelter from last September.

So cool to see. Thanks for sharing

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

philranger wrote:Nina, you are so lucky to see a wolf again. My friend Jerry and I ran into you and Craig in 2009. We were headed to Lake Ritchie and you were heading towards W. Chickenbone. I remember you saw a wolf on the trail during that trip and got a picture. Can't wait to read your trail report and see the pictures.
philranger - I remember you and I remember that we talked (online) after that last trip! I've been weeding through pictures over the last few days, and I'm hoping to start writing the trip report this weekend.
scout
NewbieCake

Post by scout »

That is awesome!! Heard the wolves when we were there a few weeks ago, but didn't see them.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Nina, what an awesome experience! I'm jealous. When I saw your photos I immediately recognized the location because I have stayed in that same shelter myself, two times. I've been to the island eight times now and have never come close to seeing a wolf. You must have been thrilled! It's pretty funny how your husband and the other people talking in the background did not even seem to notice there was a wolf walking along the trail only yards away from them. Very cool!
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Great pictures, Nina and what an experience. I'm jealous, too. Did you share these with someone at the park?

The orientation I got this year was a little different from others. Ranger Valerie in Windigo said that wolves were getting too familiar with us and if we see any we should scare them away with as much noise as we can make.

I agree that too many people are seeing them in campgrounds these last few years. Years ago, very few people ever saw a wolf on Isle Royale. It would be tragic, for us and for them, if they lost all fear of people and started to view us as easy prey.
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

LeftOvers wrote: The orientation I got this year was a little different from others. Ranger Valerie in Windigo said that wolves were getting too familiar with us and if we see any we should scare them away with as much noise as we can make.
That's interesting. During our orientation, she did not say that they were getting too familiar with us, but she did say that in the event we saw one that we should make noise and scare it away. To me, she sounded like it was still an unlikely chance. On my last trip to the island (2009), seeing a wolf was such a remote possibility that orientation did not include any information on what to do if it happened (aside from reporting it).

No, I haven't shared the photos. I indicated in my report that I have them, and I figured if someone at the park was curious they would contact me.