Guess What Campground? Chapter II.

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Guess What Campground? Chapter II.

Post by Ingo »

Since there's been interest to keep this going, but no activity for a few days, I'll throw this one out there: not a campsite, hint is the background...
DSC_4420.jpg
p.s. If you run into this guy, please say hi :)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Blake Point
092714 1646 mt IMG_5547_size_1024.jpg
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Blake Point, it is! You're up Mike.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Ingo, can you hike/bush wack to Blake Point from the Merritt Lane campsite?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

kolo wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:24 am Ingo, can you hike/bush wack to Blake Point from the Merritt Lane campsite?
We paddled. Bushwacking would be very tough--I'm not inclined to even think about it.
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

We paddled. Bushwacking would be very tough--I'm not inclined to even think about it.
That is what I thought, thanks!
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

I bushwacked there in that picture at Blake. It was hard with a lot of decisions and doubling back a couple of times towards the end to avoid ravines, but beautiful country. If the water is dangerous I would walk out there again, but paddling is much easier and it is easy to land at. I recorded the full walk out on a GoPro and I am hoping to post a time-lapse of the walk someday.

My submission.
Landing area:
062215 1107 mt IMG_6294_ADJUST.jpg
Tent site:
062215 1108 mt IMG_6296_ADJUST_SITE1.jpg
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

I bushwacked there in that picture at Blake. It was hard with a lot of decisions and doubling back a couple of times towards the end to avoid ravines, but beautiful country. If the water is dangerous I would walk out there again, but paddling is much easier and it is easy to land at. I recorded the full walk out on a GoPro and I am hoping to post a time-lapse of the walk someday.
MikeT, your GoPro video would be interesting to see. Merritt Lane is my first stop this summer and I am looking forward to it. As for your picture submission, I don't know where it is. Sometime tells me this campsite is on my itinerary for this summer! It looks like a nice site to set up a tent and camp!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

So, no one has been here in a few days. I guess the first chapter was more interesting.

Everyone is out hiking? Lake Superior areas have been frigid; more like winter gear needed around the Lake.

Gotta keep this going. Actually, I'm getting my post count up. :twisted:

I'll guess Merritt Lane.

I haven't been there; perhaps this year.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I'll guess Lane Cove.
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

Wow, 2 experts and no, no.

Not Merritt as Merritt has a nice dock. It took me many years to get to Merritt due to the location, but I have been there twice now and plan on going back again. Magnificent views, great wilderness feeling and nice paddling in the area. If you go there, make sure you plan on at least one day of paddling around the area exploring.

Lane is a good guess due to the non-descript landing area and the well groomed tent site, but no.

Here is a hint...

It is a campground that is more known as being "in between" two more popular canoe campgrounds.
Mike T.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Intermediate Lake camp. :wink:

Have not stayed there; paddled through, however. 8)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

Yep, Intermediate. Nice serene place to stay, but I wouldn't stay for more than 1 night.
You're up.
Mike T.
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

My guess would be one of he inter lake campsites: Lake Richie Canoe, Intermediate Lake, Wood Lake, or Lake Whittlesey. I have not been to any of them yet so I could not narrow it down. It sure looks like a peaceful camp site, as most of them are on Isle Royale!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

This is not a camp, but, along the trail.

Too easy?
Attachments
022_22A cropped.jpg
Jim DuFresne