Wood Ducks

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Wood Ducks

Post by chief54 »

Has anyone ever seen these ducks at IR?
Attachments
49147537053_bf5c144a2c_o.jpg
AA2I7706ffp.jpeg
AA2I7625ttp1.jpeg
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Wood Ducks

Post by dcclark »

Definitely -- I've seen them in Moskey Basin. Their coloring and patterns are so distinctive!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

they're so gaudy!
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

Yes they are but to quote the illustrious poet Billy Gibbons "woman go crazy for a sharp dressed man" These ducks have shown up on a local lake with some females and I have been capturing images of them as they go about their daily lives. Fingers are crossed that they will produce a clutch of youngsters.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

chief54 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:57 am Yes they are but to quote the illustrious poet Billy Gibbons "woman go crazy for a sharp dressed man" These ducks have shown up on a local lake with some females and I have been capturing images of them as they go about their daily lives. Fingers are crossed that they will produce a clutch of youngsters.
I am a birder. I put up a nest box on the neighbor's small pond (less than an acre) that is surrounded by mature hardwoods. Wood Ducks havd nested there every year so far.
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

johnhens wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:28 am
chief54 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:57 am Yes they are but to quote the illustrious poet Billy Gibbons "woman go crazy for a sharp dressed man" These ducks have shown up on a local lake with some females and I have been capturing images of them as they go about their daily lives. Fingers are crossed that they will produce a clutch of youngsters.
I am a birder. I put up a nest box on the neighbor's small pond (less than an acre) that is surrounded by mature hardwoods. Wood Ducks havd nested there every year so far.
Thats pretty cool, would love to see that.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I havent seen any woodducks at the island yet, only mergansers and golden eyes. But we do have two nesting boxes in our backyard pond and we captured their nesting and hatch (+the ducklings jumping out) on film this year. It was SO COOL!

In case anyone is interested:

This is the ducks learning to use the boxes and nesting:
https://youtu.be/2eIbsQuru_Y

This is the duckling jump!
https://youtu.be/pWDIiDdQiJU
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

sneakymonkey, those videos are awesome. You are so lucky to have that in your back yard. We are hoping that we will have some young ones with the pair of wood ducks that are on our local lake. Here along the central coast of California it is not real common to see them, but they are around if you know where to look. Keep thoe videos coming, I loved your IR videos.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

johnhens wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:28 am
My favorite part of the wood duck nesting boxes are when the ducklings leave the nest. I've only seen video of it though.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

chief54 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:17 pm sneakymonkey, those videos are awesome. You are so lucky to have that in your back yard. We are hoping that we will have some young ones with the pair of wood ducks that are on our local lake. Here along the central coast of California it is not real common to see them, but they are around if you know where to look. Keep thoe videos coming, I loved your IR videos.
Thanks! We are lucky to have the little wood-duck pond behind our house. We love watching nature right from our own kitchen. Thanks for watching the videos! Hoping to have some more IR vids in 2021...2020 got cancelled for us.