Windigo visitor center

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Windigo visitor center

Post by Backpacker534 »

It's been two years since I was at Isle Royale, but that year I hiked out of Rock Harbor. The last time I was at Windigo (2005) they still had the old ranger/visitor center. I just noticed this picture http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/TAU4253.php (posted in another thread). What year did Windigo get this nice building?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Windigo visitor center

Post by Tom »

That's the OLD visitor center, now just a memory. The foundation is still there, and they now have built a pavilion there which is good for LNT on a rainy day, and waiting for the boats...
The big, shiny, up the hill to the left building is the NEW visitor center. I'm trying to recall which year that was built...
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

O.k. I guess I was mistaken. When I looked at the copyright date on the photo (above link) it showed 2009. I guess I wrongly assumed that was the year the guy took the photo. I'm definitely well-acquainted with the big building up the hill...have spent quite a bit of time in there over several trips. Thanks. :oops:
CHUCKX53
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by CHUCKX53 »

I too recall going 'up the hill' to that building back when we were there....I don't have a photo of it, however.....

The only Windigo photos I have in my files is the obligatory shots of us by the big sign....
Attachments
Windigo 2004
Windigo 2004
windigo cp.jpg (110.76 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER