Polipoli State Park recreational area - Hawaii

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Polipoli State Park recreational area - Hawaii

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

One of the few hikes that I talked my family into while we were in Hawaii was the Polipoli State Park recreational area in Maui. At the turn of the century redwood trees were planted at an elevation of about 6000 ft and they have since thrived in this damp, foggy environment. It takes a 4 wheel drive to drive the switch backs to get to the park and when there you would be lucky to ever see another soul. This is really a "forgotten" park that just does not reflect Hawaii to most tourist. But it is a very beautiful park with gorgeous tree stands.

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Polipoli State Park recreational area - Hawaii

Post by Backpacker534 »

So, what did you have to promise in order to get the family to participate in this hike? It looks like a great place to visit.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Backpacker534 wrote:So, what did you have to promise in order to get the family to participate in this hike? It looks like a great place to visit.
Ha! It was not talking them into it that was the problem, It was that once we were there. The park not very utilized and so does not get much maintenance. The trial was a bit washed out in spots and since it is hugging a steep mountain slope, it had trees and bush over the trail. We had to climb over spots where we were dangling over the turn in a trail and there was nothing below us for 50 feet at spots. My wife was a wreak by the time we got back to the vehicle. Then it starting pouring down rain and the road back down on the narrow switchbacks had rivers of water over them.

I had a blast myself! :D
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Jealous! Sounds awesome.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Sounds like it was a lot of fun! Unfortunately, my wife is not that adventurous. Although, I'm sure my son would do that with me.