Pictured Rocks!

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Pictured Rocks!

Post by jrwiesz »

Almost there. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

jrwiesz wrote:Just nod if you can hear me. :) :?:
Nod, nod :)
As far as I know, I think you have to resize when done as an attachment because it gets uploaded to the website. And since this is non-commercial, there's limits on space. An alternative is to link to pics on another site (like pisca, etc.) using the "Img" button.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

jrwiesz wrote:Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me. :) :?:
Beautiful pics. No advice on uploading here, I've never tried it.

How were the bugs when you went last May? I went in July a while ago and prayed to lose all my blood quickly. It was too hot to cover up, there was no wind and DEET washed off me with my sweat. You could get a quick but filling mosquito snack just by opening your mouth and chewing off a piece of air, though.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

In late September last year bugs were a non-issue. Also, water is wet, coffee is hot. This May at IR will be my first non-September trip to the U.P. and I'm a bit concerned bug-wise considering the weather this winter. For my Pictured rocks trip I booked Altran before noticing there's also http://www.tomfunke.com/picturedrocks.html. I had no complaints with Altran though.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1172627051 ... dRocks2011#
|| Jess ||
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

LeftOvers - Bugs during May 2011 trip were a non-issue at Pictured Rocks.

alecto73 - I'm thinking during a May 2012 trip to IR the bugs, most likely, will be a non-issue.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by michigandave »

My buddy and I did the trip this past October 2012. We went from Log Slide to Munising Falls (37.5 miles, 2 1/2 days) and really enjoyed it. We had planned on an extra day, but when we got to our last nights site at Cliffs, it wasn't too impressive and the thought of pasties, Keewanaw Amber Ale and a motel in Munising sounded better. Plus, the weather was turning and it didn't look like it was going to be too pleasant. Very few people and lots of blowdowns from the high winds that hit the area in October. The Altran shuttle was only available for charter at $100, so I found Dennis at Grand Marais Outfitters ( http://www.facebook.com/GMOPage ) through the NCTA, who handled our transportation. The business is just starting out and he's a retired Vet.

Link to our trip video: http://youtu.be/rMxg394Dm04 .
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Resurrecting this thread for a second (third?) time. I think my wife and I are going to plan a trip for late August/Early September. Has anyone arranged a shuttle? For example, could we park at Munsing and get dropped at 12Mile Beach to hike back to the car? Looking for some ideas as the wife is much more car camper than hiker.
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

Altran will probably work with you if you give them a call. There is at least one other shuttle service however the name escapes me.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Follow "michigandave"s link posted above, to the facebook page of Grand Marias Outfitters. They may be less expensive than Altran.

If you get dropped off at the Little Beaver Lake campground, it is only 1 mile hike to the west end of 12 mi. beach and the Lakeshore(NCT) trail.

This may be too long for a day hike back to Munising(15+), the Chapel basin trailhead to Munising(10+), the Miners Castle/Beach area to Munising(6/7+). YMMV.

Plenty of drop off points/options. Many more options if you spend 1 night in the backcountry.

To me, this park is made for day hikes. You could stay in Munising, drive to most areas, do day hikes of the length you desire, drive back to Munising to your room.

This park is my favorite sandbox to play in! :)
Jim DuFresne
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Thanks guys. I think we'd stretch this out to 3 nights while hiking back to the car, which would leave plenty of time to loaf around and explore the superior beaches or inland lakes. This is my attempt to ease my wife out of her car camping comfort zone.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

One other thing, I don't see anything one way or the other regarding hammocks. Does anyone know if PR allows hammock camping as long as the proper precautions are used to avoid damage to the trees?
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

I am considering a backpacking trip to Pictured Rocks this spring. Thanks for the information!
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

I backpacked the length of prnl last summer. We spotted a car at sand point (west end) and drove to Grand marais (east end). If you only have one car you can park at munising falls visitor center and catch a bus to Grand marais. You have to schedule the bus in advance. We camped at a commercial campground on the lake in Grand Marais. It's only a couple of blocks to town. We ate and drank at the microbrewery. There are not a lot of choices. In the morning we hiked along the beach and the up the river past Sable falls to the visitor center. We got our permits at the NFS office in Munising the previous day. We could have gotten them at the Grand marais visitor center. You must designate your campgrounds. Get reservations in advance. We camped at Sable pt, then beaver creek, then mosquito. The first day we hiked around a small inland lake, then wooded back dunes, then to the top of the Grand Sable dunes then to Sable point. The next day we mostly followed 12 mile beach. Beaver creek was a great campground on a bluff overlooking the lake. The next day we hiked by the cliffs most of the day, past spray falls and chapel beach (which is spectacular). The last day brings you past miners castle and some hidden waterfalls. Great hike.
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

Here are some of my PRNL Pics
dunes.jpg
Grand Sable Dunes from the Log Slide Overlook. Ate lunch here the first day.
lighthouse.jpg
Looking NW from the Dunes Overlook toward AuSable Point. The first campground is near the light house.
beach.jpg
Next night at Beaver Creek. Campfire and campground are on the bluff (right). Looking NE along 12 miles of wilderness beach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

More Pics
falls.jpg
Spray Falls is one of the first cliff views. That little tree on the point has been there for at least 30 years.
chapel.jpg
Chapel beach has it all - rock formation with impossible tree, a waterfall, cliffs with sea arches, campground, and a beach. We had lunch here on day three.
edge.jpg
Sometimes the trail is right on the edge, but you always have the option of hiking a safe distance away if you are acrophobic.