No IR but I did make it to the UP and the Keweenaw this week

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

No IR but I did make it to the UP and the Keweenaw this week

Post by Midwest Ed »

I'm sitting on a lake side deck on Torch Lake at my rental cottage using "borrowed" WiFi from 2 miles across the lake in Lake Linden. My whole family is here for the week as we hope to relax, bike, swim, boat, fish and explore in the Keweenaw and Lake Superior. Today we made it out to the beautiful beach at Big Traverse Bay, swung by the Jacobsville lighthouse and a great sub sandwich at the Ambassador Bar in Houghton (The toasted French bread hasn't changed in 35 years). I plan on going to Copper Harbor at least one afternoon to greet the arrivals coming back on the Queen (maybe I can pick a day I know the seas have been rough). Hopefully that won't be Wednesday because that's our scheduled day to go out charter fishing for some big "Lakers".

If I can't make it to IR at least I can get close.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: No IR but I did make it to the UP and the Keweenaw this

Post by johnhens »

Enjoy your trip!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

We had a fantastic time. Sooo much nicer than all the winter memories I have of the Keweenaw. There was almost zero bugs even after dark. Just one evening were there was the slightest hint of mosquitoes.

The kids caught these "Lakers" courtesy of Brad at Sand Point Charters:
new-00.jpg
Here's the place we stayed on Torch Lake (which is really just a backwater channel of Lake Superior in the Portage Canal).
IMG_0304E.jpg
IMG_0310E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Here's the beach we frequented at Big Traverse Bay (on the southeast shore of the Keweenaw) looking toward the Huron Mountains:
IMG_0320E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I first saw Isle Royale from Brockway Mountain as a kid on our family's trips to Eagle Harbor. I wanted to go and made it to IR as an adult about a dozen times, but I can't count the number of times I've been to the Keweenaw.

I love IR, but my heart belongs to the Keweenaw. Sounds like you found a perfect spot for your family adventure.