Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario, Canada

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

lahai1dj
NewbieCake

Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario, Canada

Post by lahai1dj »

I'm interested in Pukaskwa National Park in Ontario and I'm curious to know if anyone here has been there and has some comments on the park itself, the quality of the Coastal Trail, what the weather is like in early June, and anything else that stood out about it.

There are few trip reports available online and even less info available on the Parks Canada website. Also, does anyone know of a good trail map of the park? The best quality map I've seen is lacking detail and looks like it was drawn in crayon by a preschooler!

Thanks!
David

"solitude is the school of genius" --Edward Gibbon
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario, Canada

Post by Nick »

I usually get topographic maps from the Canadian government. Sometimes, though, they are 1:50000. As far as I know, Pukaskwa in totally undeveloped and you can start at either end, but there are no trails or roads.

I spend the summers in the UP and Lake Superior is totally unpredictable, even in the summer. So, plan on big water and being stuck for a day or two or ten on the shore. Don't forget the bear spray. If you email me privately, I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who is doing a two week trip there this summer and will no doubt have more information.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

There are some pictures from a kayaking trip available at this link. Unfortunately, the article text is not posted. I've read it, and it's very interesting. You can call and request a copy. I don't know how much, if anything it costs.

http://www.lakelandboating.com/kayaking/
Jonny Brett
NewbieCake

Post by Jonny Brett »

I have been to parks around there and I have spent much time researching the park, but I have not been there yet. The best map you will find of the park, or any Canadian park for that matter, are the ones made by Chrismar. You can order directly from their website. They make outstanding waterproof maps that are second to none. I have several of them of various Ontario provincial parks. Go here: http://www.adventuremap.com/
lahai1dj
NewbieCake

Post by lahai1dj »

Great suggestions, thanks everyone!
David

"solitude is the school of genius" --Edward Gibbon