Pictured Rocks Recommendations?

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Pictured Rocks Recommendations?

Post by Ingo »

Going to spend the last week of June car camping at Pictured Rocks. Looking for specific recommendations for:
(a) Campgrounds. Thinking a few nights at Bay Furnace CG, then east to either 12 Mile or Hurricane River CG. Any experience or knowledge of better alternatives?
(b) Any kayak outfitter (probably guided tour) better or worse?
(c) Same for boat tours.
(d) Restaurants, if we want to treat ourselves one night.

Thanks!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Pictured Rocks Recommendations?

Post by bergman »

Kayak outfitter in Munising:
Met 3 kayakers from cedar rapids, IA @ chippewa harbor in sept. One of them was Pam Wolter, president of cedar valley paddlers. Earlier last season she organized guided kayak on Grand Island for 6 club members. The outfitter was a nightmare. Contact her at cedarvalleypaddlers.webs.com or 319-231-0541. She can tell u the name of the outfitter she used. One guy and the guide had to be rescued at the end of the trip. Part of the nightmare was in the equipment.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

I took a detour just to see Trappers Lake cg and really wished I had made it a night on my trip. I thought it was pretty cool. Looks like you'll want to check on the water situation there though - specifically Trappers Lake.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
|| Jess ||
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

Just noticed you said car camping. Don't think you'll be hitting Trappers Lake in that case. :grin:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
|| Jess ||
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I like Little Beaver Lake CG, small, the sites are mostly on the water. The bathrooms are nice (for a CG), easy hike out to the lake.
We usually will go to The Dogpatch, think of Rydens with character!!!!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

As johnhens related, Little Beaver Lake CG; 2011 price was $17 a night, self-check-in. Only eight sites = maybe full in late June. I believe, first come, first served?

Launch for small boat/canoe/kayak, electric trolling motors allowed-no outboards however. Supposedly can portage to Beaver lake, from Little Beaver lake.

Hike to the Lady = one mile and you come out at the west end of Twelve mile beach; much of this area = designated wilderness area. Day hike to Chapel Rock doable.

Enjoy; with a week and a car, you should be able to see all the highlights, and more. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Have made reservations at Bay Furnace CG, just west of Munising, and then at Muskallonge Lake SP 18 miles east of Grand Marais. Since we're traveling 1400 miles to get there, want to make sure we have a spot and those are the few in the area that take reservations. But plan to stop at Little Beaver Lake, 12 Mile, and Hurricane River campgrounds when we move west to east and take the first open one--don't mind donating a few bucks to the MI DNR or NFS if we don't use a reservation.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone! Have made reservations at Bay Furnace CG, just west of Munising, and then at Muskallonge Lake SP 18 miles east of Grand Marais. Since we're traveling 1400 miles to get there, want to make sure we have a spot and those are the few in the area that take reservations. But plan to stop at Little Beaver Lake, 12 Mile, and Hurricane River campgrounds when we move west to east and take the first open one--don't mind donating a few bucks to the MI DNR or NFS if we don't use a reservation.
There is a nice State Forest CG just West of Muskallonge right on the water.
Might be worth checking out as you will be in the area. Good Microbrewey in Grand Marais, forget the name, good food too. There is a small air strip outisde of GM, a guy does flights over the lake, nice ( a photographer friend has used the service)