Apostle Islands

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Apostle Islands

Post by MikeT »

Anyone with experience at the Apostles?? We are thinking of a trip paddling there due to the sequester. Thanks in advance.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Apostle Islands

Post by darksideofoz »

i too would like any info people have. i just started thinking about making plans for a trip there next summer.
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

From what I've read/heard, sea kayaks are a necessity as the distances between the islands is such that if bad weather blows in during the traverse, bad things can happen.

A few years back, a casual canoeist left the Little Sand Bay Visitor Center dock for Sand Island, a distance of 2-3 miles. Weather was calm and sunny. Halfway across the open water a squall opened up and the canoeist perished. This is not an isolated accident; it happens on a regular basis.

I realize that many of you are more experienced, have radios, watch the weather, etc.. However, crossing the open waters of Lake Superior in a canoe/kayak is not without risk. One just needs to minimize those risks.
Spartan
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Spartan »

My wife and I took a trip there in the summer of 2011. It's a cool place to paddle with opportunities for exploring but weather can be a big factor considering it is a lot of wide-open paddling on Lake Superior. We actually got stuck on one of the islands for a day due to rough conditions. (The marine warnings were for "small craft advisory" for about two straight days.) Eventually after sitting on our butts bored out of our skulls for about a day and a half, we bit the bullet and shoved off, fighting the wind and chop to our next destination.

Here's a link to pictures of the trip if you are interested:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10973272 ... PaCwq7vjgE
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I know this is an older post, but this is my stomping grounds, i have yakked to every island except outer and north twin, north twin is restricted.i also keep a sailboat in ashland on occassion.i have logged hundereds of miles in those waters.i would be happy to share any info i can.island hopping is a great way to spend a week no doubt. They even have a few hiking trails to explore when the lake wants to remind u who is really in charge.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Why is North Twin island restricted?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I have been given a few reasons over the years. Safety reasons, too far out and it basically has no decent landing areas.I saw a bit of it from my sailboat it was rugged to say the least. I couldn't circumnavigate it, a squall popped up and darn near knocked us down....scary quick! Needless to say we dropped sail and ran tucked tail for protection ;) Another reason is it that it is small and is a nesting site for birds. Fishing is also difficult because they have a lot of restricted areas that are no fishing zones, never asked why on that one, Not much of a fisherman. :( Eagle island has the same restrictions ....but I was on that one :0 ...or was I?? Eagle island had a twin,but it was washed away in a storm in the early 1900's .
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

One word....GO!

We've paddled there several times. One of our trips was part of a kayaking video by Justine Curgenven, "This is the Sea" part 4....
http://www.cackletv.com/sea-kayaking-dv ... the-sea-4/

This was our 3rd or 4th trip to the area and we finally got out to Outer Island. Yes, the weather can definitely kick up quickly and the winds there take on a unique pattern around the islands. We've experienced high winds coming at us, from what it felt, like several different directions.

Anyway, you wont be disappointed, awesome sea caves, beautiful beaches....try and get out to Devils and see the caves there..
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

If you have the skill, I recomend snorkeling the sea caves. That's an extra slice of cool.However even with minor surge and current, it can quickly become dangerous!Use a wetsuit for sure, that water off of Devils is Ccccold! ;)