Tahquamenon Multi Day Float Trip

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Tahquamenon Multi Day Float Trip

Post by hooky »

I'm looking for a little advice or maybe a nudge in the right direction regarding a multiple day float trip down the Tahquamenon River. The primary purpose would be to fish. We're not really skilled trout fishermen, so I'd rather focus on the lower half for smallies and walleye. We're thinking 3-4 nights.

Has anyone here done this or know of a resource that could help us? Google results are a little thin. We're trying to find the right put in and a trustworthy shuttle service. So far, The Woods is the only outfitter we can track down.

Thanks in advance.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Tahquamenon Multi Day Float Trip

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I havent been there, but what we usually do for shuttles is drop our gear off at the put in, drive to the take out and have a taxi pick us up there and take us back to the put in. Then noone has to meet you and if you are an hour ahead or behind schedule noone cares, but still leave a float plan with someone else!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Thanks Lucky.

Our biggest head scratcher is where to put in and locations to camp each night. There appears to be very little public access to the river and not a lot of options for spending the night on public land or private campgrounds.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Hooky,
When are you going?
Are you starting at Lake Superior?
Maybe Email me??
We are going up there this weekend.
I had to cancel my trip to the island do to a job opening I have been waiting for, but now, due to the government shutdown, I am in limbo, so we are going to head up to Paradise for a long weekend. I know people there, know the area and we will be there, so I might be able to help you out.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"