John Muir Trail - Film "Mile Mile and a Half"

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

John Muir Trail - Film "Mile Mile and a Half"

Post by hooky »

We watched this on Netflix last weekend. If you're a fan of the Sierra's, you'll likely enjoy it.

You can see the trailer http://youtu.be/4T1oBhzLQXg and if you don't have Netflix, you can rent it for $3.99 on Amazon. It might be free with Prime.

The Muir Project has some info too. http://themuirproject.com/mmah/film/
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: John Muir Trail - Film "Mile Mile and a Half"

Post by Rafiki »

Anyone here ever hike the John Muir trail? How does it compare to the Isle Royale trails? Do people generally carry all of their food with them for the 200+ miles or are there dropoff/resupply points?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I've hiked it in Yosemite, not outside of it. Lots more elevation gain and loss. Air is thinner. A different kind of spectacular as it's alpine vs. boreal/mixed hardwoods.

The thru hikers arrange food mail drops at various locations along the trail. They detail a bit of that in the movie.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks Hooky. It seems a short enough distance-wise to allow me to make a trip out of it. Anything over 300 miles would be pushing it in terms of time off from work. Let the researching and movie watching begin! Thanks =)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I wish I had taken a few months out of life when I was younger to do some things like hiking the JMT, paddling some of the Lewis & Clark route and spending time hunting/fishing in the Rockies & Sierras.

My son said he was going to through hike the AT when he retired and asked me if I would be interested in joining him. The reality that if he retired at 65 and started hiking, I'd be 92, hit him right between the eyes. LOL

Go do this stuff before you let life stop you.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

A lot of people come from the frame of mind...
Go do this stuff before you let life stop you.
It really makes me wonder if I should just drop everything and go to the AT. That is something I would like to tackle too and could see how as one gets older and older, life has a way of placing obstacles in front of your path. Hmmm....always contemplating.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Live the dream!! Live it for all that didn't, can't or will do it when they have time! :)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Almost feel like getting that tattooed onto my shoulder Tree Rattt...thanks for the encouraging words. Now I'm really scratching my head here.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Can't do it if you don't start!... Not sure I will get the opportunity, but it would be a great time if I did! Now how do I convince my wife that I should go on a 3 month backpacking trip?!?!?
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

It only takes 3 months? Is the AT hikable Dec thru Mar?
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I have a friend in GA that is active in the AT Conservancy and he's encouraged me to hike it in sections. It's a lot easier to do it a week at a time.

The AT isn't hikable Dec-March IMO. The northern terminus is in Maine. And at 2,180 miles, I don't know that it's a 3 month hike either.

This link lays out the timing based on the route (start north or south) http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/ ... e-to-start
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

People have done it in 3 months before but that is a rare bred of people and definitely not your typical backpacker. If I recall correctly though, Lucky Chicken is an ambitious hiker like myself who doesn't like to get to camp earlier only to mill around. Therefore, I would not put it past him. However, what I would put past him, as you alluded to Hooky, is doing the AT between Dec-Mar....while not impossible...I do not see it being too enjoyable.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

yea... I would not try it Dec-Mar. It could be an adventure... Snow shoe the AT! But some of the sections I have been on would be very treacherous with snow and ice cover, you would need to bypass those and blue blaze quite a bit of the trail.

You are right Rafiki... getting to camp before 7pm isn't my cup of tea... unless there is fishing involved ;) We hiked the 10.5 miles from Siskiwit to Feldtmann and got in at 11am... it was a good thing the fishing was good or I would have continued on to Washington ;) Also if you typically go ~60 miles in a week, after a couple weeks on trail you will be surprised how easy those miles get, it isn't uncommon for thru hikers a couple weeks in to start seeing 20+ mile days.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

My 20+ mile days are waayyyy behind me. My insides would melt from all the ibuprofen I'd have to take. More power to you younger guys.
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

Another good clip on YouTube about the JMT.
https://youtu.be/EAG2xURyvtY