LBL- Land between the lakes

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

LBL- Land between the lakes

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Thinking about an early spring paddle trip to Land between the lakes in western Kentucky. Anyone ever been, or have any tips?

Thinking about paddling the horseshoe from the highway 68 bridge on the Barkley side to the highway 68 bridge on the Kentucky lake side. That would leave us a ~8 mile road hike to shuttle the car to the take out on the first day. We will be stopping at the campgrounds to fill up on water as we pass, but plan on finding backcountry camp spots.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: LBL- Land between the lakes

Post by hooky »

I've never done that paddle, but I do have a general tip.

Stash a bike at the take out that morning and give yourself more time on the water or in camp. I do this when I'm fishing moving water alone and can't find a shuttle partner. It makes my time on the water much more enjoyable, since I'm not as worried about the time it will take for the long walk back to the put in.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

HI lucky Chicken
This last year I hiked LBL from one end to the other alone.
I have canoed there all my life. Fishing is great so bring a pole. water is always pretty plenty.
There are a lot of stray dogs though, be careful they are abandoned there and left to starve till kind
people stop and try to help them. As far as canoeing or kayaking, beautiful sunsets and peaceful waters await, but be warned. There
are many snakes along the shorelines. most are poisonous. Be careful getting in and out of your boat, or if you backpack.
While hiking I saw 1 coiled up rattler in the brush and a 6 foot black racer crossing the path in front of me, and at the water front
filtering water I had to step back from a small cottonmouth. I HATE SNAKES.
I am not sure if this helped. but I can give you a few helpful hints if you would like them about the area. grew up there so it is like
an old stomping ground.
(if your gonna fish, this is bass heaven and 2 pound bluegill paradise.)
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

thanks for the tips!

I don't much care for snakes either but grew up in east TN so am used to avoiding them.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Just got back from this paddle trip. It was a great time with lots of sun/ warm water. We ended up parking the car at the visitor's center (6 mile hike on day one to get back to the boats and 2 mile hike on the last day to pick up the car) which worked great! We stopped mid trip at a marina for burgers and a beer, which was a great treat.

The only downsides from this trip, there were lots of bass boats zooming around all the time (apparently there was a tournament going on that week, maybe we'll be on TV) and the shoreline was littered with trash... lots of trash, we filled the hatches with the space from what we ate every day but didn't even make a dent (some places are worse than others.

All in all it is a trip worth doing, lots of waterfowl, relatively bug free (comparatively), warm water, nice varied scenery (the difference between the two lakes is significant), and an excuse to get on the water early!

Anyone who is interested my pictures are here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 577ba1356b Some time laps sunrise/ sunset videos are on the way.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Just like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer traded in their raft for kayaks. So you enjoyed being a river rat for a few days. Looks like a nice time. I wasn't aware Bison had been introduced to the area. Are they wild or is it animal husbandry?

What part of Iowa do you live? Have you ever checked out all the back water areas of the Mississippi? There are many paddle friendly areas and paddle trails with lots of wildlife.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

The Bison are in an enclosure with elk in the middle of the park. I doubt they will let them roam free in the area (they make them money now $5 scenic drive).

I am in Southern Iowa, Bloomfield area. Haven't done much on the Mississippi we have done quite a bit at the state park lakes, Rathburn, and Red Rock. The last two have some pretty nice long water trails, the state park lakes around here are more fishing less paddling in 20 minutes you can get from one end to the other. I do have some Uncles that live in the Quad cities area, but when I go visit our intrests are more on fishing.