Acadia National Park

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Acadia National Park

Post by hooky »

I've picked up a new client in Maine and Acadia is just an hour or two up the coast. I'd like to plan a 4 or 5 day stay at Acadia on the back end of a customer meeting. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on their past experiences or any particular resources that might help in the planning process?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Acadia National Park

Post by Lucky Chicken »

from my research the only options are basecamping at one of their campgrounds (cars and campers) and day hiking, they do not allow backcountry camping. They also have kayak tours if you were intrested in exploring the islands from the ocean side. I have been wanting to do a trip up there, it looks like beautiful country! If you end up going I would love any information you bring back!
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I'll be researching in my spare time and would be happy to share everything I find out, whether through the research or first hand experience. I was more than a little disappointed to learn that there is no backcountry camping, but the place looks so beautiful that I'll deal with it.

I'm wondering if Isle Au Haut is a little less traveled due to it only being reachable by ferry.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Do go, it's great and plenty of hiking even if basecamping. Been there twice with the family. 1993 was more adventuresome and had some great hikes, but can't remember specific locations for you. I do remember crawling up a trail on all fours, pushing our 6 yr old up from behind (who was having much more fun than I was :? ). I have a log from 2003 here (http://moskeybasin.com/Vacations/ME_Log_2003.html), but one daughter was recovering from surgery so we didn't do any hikes. Some kayaking and exploring by car that trip. I do remember that we really liked the campground (Mount Desert Campground)--even though it's your family variety the sites were well spaced, and pretty quiet back where we were away from the water. More so than most public/park campgrounds.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Thanks, Ingo!
TallGuy
NewbieCake

Post by TallGuy »

I've been to Acadia several times, it is a beautiful place! There are two camping options on the main land and my favorite is Seawall since it's a little farther from Bar Harbor and they have some very nice walk in tent camping as an option. There are numerous options for hiking; from a casual walk on the carriage trails (a must see) all the way to technical rock climbing. Another must see place is about an hour and a half away from Mount Desert Island and is called The Schoodic Peninsula. It is a great place for picnics and sightseeing. A perfect place for a relaxing ride after a nice long hike. If you go make sure to stop at a drive up restaurant just east of Ellsworth called Jordan's Snack Bar for the best Halibut dinner anywhere. Here is a link to the Acadia National Park Website, http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

Enjoy yourself!
Wishing you sunny skies and starry nights!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

We went to Acadia a few years ago. We camped at Seawall and spent most of our time on that part of the Park. We did the Puffin/Whale tour which I recommend. We saw humpback whales, a dead sperm whale, minke whales, a basking shark, harbor porpoises, grey and harbor seals, one popped up fairly close when we were kayaking (we brought our kayaks, foggy quite a bit), and a number of "life" sea birds including great views of gannets diving for fish. We also did tidal pool wading (in Bar Harbor) and saw star fish, crabs, urchins, and othere todal pool creatures. We did the sunrise at Cadilac Mtn. Cool. There are busses the make a regular route through the park, we never used them. Ate quite a bit of seafood that we bought from the fisherman (fun to talk to them). Saw a lot of shooting stars one night when it was clear. We will go back.