Au Sable River

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Topic author
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Au Sable River

Post by MikeT » Wed May 02, 2018 7:15 pm

All,
Well, after the first boat being cancelled, we decided to go back to Sylvania Wilderness and, guess what, the lakes are still ice covered! So, we are now on plan #3: we are going to paddle the Au Sable River from Roscommon to Lake Huron. I have eyed this river for years, but never been on it. If anyone has any insight on must sees, must stays, or tips in general, could you please share them here or in an email.

Thanks!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Au Sable River

Post by hooky » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Mike, how was the trip? A buddy and I are trying to decide on this or the Current down in the Ozarks for an October paddle.

JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JavaHiker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Hate to interject, but the Current (or the Buffalo in NW Arkansas) can be mighty fine in October...
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:27 am

No need to worry about interjecting. I appreciate the input.

A fishing buddy who lives down there suggested the Current over the Buffalo at that time of year. He thought that the Buffalo would be too skinny and recommended the Current since it's got a more steady flow due to being spring fed.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Ozarks in October. I've never floated either one. Another fishing acquaintance splits time between Montana and southern MO, so we may have up to a 4 boat fleet if we head south.