Summer Wanderlust

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Summer Wanderlust

Post by kolo »

Last summer (2019) I took a road trip out east. I am from North Dakota but I teach and live in Montana. I usually sleep in my vehicle (a station wagon) while on the road. My summary, that I include with a calendar I put together with pictures, follows. I apologize for its length but I tried to break it up a little.

Summer Wanderlust 2019-A Summary

On my third consecutive road trip to the east coast of the United States, in as many summers, I finally made it to Maine! For some time now, I have wanted to see the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. I was tempted to call several friends after taking pictures but thought it might be a little too early for those in the Central and Mountain Time zones!

My road trip lasted 23 days. I saw moose on seven consecutive days (six days at Isle Royale), including my first Canadian moose in Canada. I say in Canada because I have seen many moose in North Dakota, but I believe they were Canadian moose in the U.S. illegally! I saw a black bear in northern Minnesota. It is the second time that I have seen a black bear in Minnesota and the fourth time overall. I only spent one night in a motel, just because I really needed a shower after backpacking for a week on Isle Royale. I went nine peaceful days without cell phone service. I had the oil changed on “Sadie the Sable” twice during the trip. I swam in the Atlantic Ocean (Acadia National Park) and Lake Superior (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore). As cold as Lake Superior was, swimming in the Atlantic Ocean was colder!

I drove on bridges over the St. Lawrence River (toll), Lake Champlain, the Hudson River (toll), and Lakes Michigan/Huron (toll). Sadie the Sable got me to the top of Mount Mansfield, where I hiked to the Vermont state highpoint, Mount Washington (New Hampshire), Mount Greylock (Massachusetts), Jerimoth Hill (Rhode Island), and High Point (New Jersey). Driving through Hartford, Wisconsin was much easier than driving through Hartford, Connecticut.

I visited 14 states: Connecticut, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, and one Canadian Province, Ontario. My road trip took me to within 68 miles of Boston, 12 miles of Providence, and 75 miles of New York City. It was much too close for someone who does not like big cities, especially driving in them! Later, after hearing about the anniversary of Woodstock, I figured it out that I drove within eight miles of the location where the famous music festival was held in August of 1969.

During this summer, I traveled over 9,000 miles. I visited Acadia National Park, Isle Royale National Park, Voyageurs National Park, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I visited seven state parks: Baxter State Park (Maine), Glendalough State Park (Minnesota), High Point State Park (New Jersey), Itasca State Park (Minnesota), Lake Metigoshe State Park (North Dakota), Mount Greylock State Reservation (Massachusetts), and the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park (Minnesota). Not once did a park ranger or law enforcement officer knock on my car window while I slept (boondocked)!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Summer Wanderlust

Post by Bobcat1 »

Sounds like a great trip. Did you get to Cape Cod?
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

Did you get to Cape Cod?
To be honest I wasn't even sure where it was until I looked at my road atlas last night. It looks like an interesting place to visit! Similar to driving your car to the end of the Florida Keys!
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

At the risk of giving away a well-kept secret, one the best places I visited was Baxter State Park. I stayed in a lean-to for two nights and absolutely enjoyed it! I hope to return again and spend more time there!

I think the type of people on this forum who like going to Isle Royale would enjoy Baxter State Park in Maine. The numbers of people entering the park are controlled so as not to overwhelm/ruin the environment/natural resource. Conservation and preservation take priority over recreation and tourism. You can hike, backpack, canoe, and camp in pristine wilderness. At one of the campgrounds you could rent a canoe for $1.00 an hour!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

that sounds like a terrific trip, kolo! If you liked Acadia, and want to see even more Canadian moose *in Canada*, next time you're in the neighborhood, keep going north and east, toward Cape Breton Island (reachable by causeway), Nova Scotia. It's the only place I've ever been that made IR seem moose-poor.
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

If you liked Acadia, and want to see even more Canadian moose *in Canada*, next time you're in the neighborhood, keep going north and east, toward Cape Breton Island (reachable by causeway), Nova Scotia. It's the only place I've ever been that made IR seem moose-poor.
Thanks for the tip torpified! I will add it to my long (and getting longer) list of places I want to see! Although I really like the western United States, I would like to get back to Maine again, especially Baxter State Park.

Most of the Isle Royale regulars probably already know this, but Ranger Val (Windigo-Isle Royale) is from Nova Scotia.