Scenic Lower Peninsula Drives?

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Scenic Lower Peninsula Drives?

Post by Ingo »

Hey Michigan folks,
We'll be driving from NC to our family cabin in Northern Wis in a couple weeks and planning to go up through Michigan. We have a little more time this trip, so looking at alternatives to I-75 the whole way up. Not looking for things to do, per se, just a more scenic and relaxing drive--photo ops along the way being a bonus.

I did the Lake Michigan coast up to Sleeping Bear last fall, so the obvious choice is US-23 along Lake Huron. I did part of that a few decades ago and remember it being nice, but slower than I expected. Are there any nice interior options, like M-33, or M-65? It'll probably still be a 500 mile day, so we don't want to be going TOO slow the whole way :D (55 is great).

Thanks for any local knowledge or experience!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH