Monteagle, TN

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Monteagle, TN

Post by Ingo »

Don_P wrote:The most I've done in a day with a full pack is 27 miles in the Monteagle, TN, area. Much more elevation change than IR but not quite as rocky.
Hey Don, my daughter went to school at Sewanee, a couple miles down the road from Monteagle. Always wanted to do some hiking in that area but it never quite worked out in the 4 yrs visiting there, other than a few short 1-2 mile "hikes". I remember a park east of Monteagle that looked like it had some great trails, but my daughter was recovering from leg surgery so that turned into a short hike. She wanted to make make it to the first lookout, but we didn't get there.

if you're not familiar with the area, it's on top the Cumberland Plateau. Relatively flat on top of the mountains with dramatic 1000+ ft drops into the valleys. A beautiful area with lots of trails I've never explored. Sewanee (aka Univ of the South) owns 10,000 on top of the mountain with 60 miles of hiking trails.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Monteagle, TN

Post by Don_P »

I agree - really great trails in that area. We lived south of Nashville for a few years and it was a short trip to the Fiery Gizzard Trail, Savage Gulf, Stone Door and the like. I have some great memories of those trails!