Craig Lake State Park - Michigan/UP

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Craig Lake State Park - Michigan/UP

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Anyone been there? I might spend a night there on my way home from CH to the metro-Deroit area this fall... sounds nice!
---------------
Craig Lake State Park spans more than 6900 acres in eastern Baraga County. Craig Lake State Park is considered the most remote state park in Michigan according to the DNR. It is a wilderness area and access to the park itself can be adventurous.

The Park contains six full lakes and numerous ponds. Wildlife abounds within the Park and deer, bear, beaver, loons, and moose may be seen. Craig Lake itself is 374 acres and features six islands and high granite bluffs along its northern shore.

Craig Lake State Park offers some of the most rugged trails in Michigan. An 8 mile trail loops around Craig Lake and offers opportunities to view wild life, fauna, and the lakeshore. A 7.5 mile section of the North Country Trail runs through the Park and covers some rough terrain and the 8 mile loop around Craig Lake covers a portion of the North Country Trail. The North Country Trail, conceived in the mid-1960s, runs 3200 miles in length, linking New York's Adirondack Mountains with the Missouri River in North Dakota. Today nearly half of the trail is open for public use.

Keewaydin Lake is a very secluded lake within the Park with a narrow winding firm dirt road leading in. A cement ramp and loading dock make for easy access to this beautiful little lake. There is a vault toilet, picnic table and fire pit with plenty of parking area. Pike, musky, walleye and pan fish inhabit the waters of Keewaydin Lake. This is the only lake in the Park that allows for motorized boats. All other lakes within the Park do not allow motorized boats. Canoes are suggested.

While camping is allowed in the park, there are no designated campgrounds. Camps are required to be 150 ft minimum from the water's edge. A fee of $9.00 for rustic camping applies; use the self-registration drop pipe at the entrance to the trail system or check at the park headquarters for payment. Remember when camping out that you take great care to secure your backpacks at night and to discourage any interested bear from feeding on your food. Park officials encourage that when camping, hang all food and valuable items on a rope between two trees at least 25-30 ft above the ground and at least 100 ft away from your camp. Do not feed the bears and do not cook food inside your tent.

A three-bedroom lodge and a six-bunk cabin built by Fred Miller of the Miller Brewing Company are excellent for small and large groups. A two-mile hike from from the parking area, the cabins are in the middle of the woods. There is no electricity, but the cabins have a hand pump for water, a vault toilet, a cooking grill and a fire ring. Firewood for heat is provided by the park staff. The smaller cabin sleeps six and the larger cabin sleeps 14. Cabins are open, weather permitting, from May 15 to October 15. Call (906) 339-4461 for reservations. Number Available: 2. Fee: $40.00-$50.00 Capacity: 6 & 14
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Craig Lake State Park - Michigan/UP

Post by Backpacker534 »

I've never been there but it sounds pretty nice. I'm always interested in learning about some nice hikes "close to home". How many miles of trail are there all together? Just the 7.5 miles and the 8 mile loop, or is there more? Post another message later on if you choose to stop there on your way back, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

My son and I just did the Manistee River Trail / North Country Trail Loop the third week in May. The trail was easy to moderate and the scenery was beautiful. I would definitely recommend that loop (21 miles) to anyone.
DaveH
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by DaveH »

I hiked the Manistee River Trail a couple years ago some time around Mother's day. I really liked the trail and scenery, but I saw more people in the first half hour than I saw in a week on Isle Royale. Also, me, my uncle, and dog all ended up with ticks on us.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have not been there, but I have heard that road in is not paved and can be a challenge for cars.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Dave, I too had the same experience in terms of the people. On the North Country Trail we only saw a couple people...very Isle Royale-like. However, on the Manistee River Trail I stopped counting the number of people and dogs we passed after about 20 people. I won't say it was over-crowded and I had a miserable time but, there was definitely quite a few people on the trail. Bad thing is, for people wanting solitude, there are several dirt roads where people can drive in on the MRT side and take a short hike in to the trail. Obviously, that means more casual campers, day-hikers, and an occasional "yahoo", if ya get the drift. Although, I guess the only "yahoos" we encountered were staying at the camp area at the north end. They were fishing for trout in the river near the "Little Mac" bridge, drinking, smoking and generally yucking it up and being loud. But, don't let that discourage you, that was the only encounter we had and overall it was an excellent trip. I would definitely do it again. By the way, we didn't get any ticks.

John, actually, you can access the main trailheads from a paved road (Coates Highway) on the southern end of the loop. There is a paved lot and boat ramp at the Red Bridge access. You can also access the loop at the northern end by the campground. The unpaved gravel road runs parallel to the MRT and is rather rough, although, my son and I did tackle the road at the end of our hike when we decided to drive up to the Hodenpyle dam. My little Saturn SL2 was able to make the trip with no problem, we just drove slow (20-30 mph).
DaveH
NewbieCake

Post by DaveH »

I think Jonhens is referring to the road into Craig Lake state Park. The following info on the road into Craig Lake is from the Hunts' Guide to Michigan's UPPER PENINSULA
website http://hunts-upguide.com/michigamme_cra ... _park.html "Normal vehicles can now use the seven-mile access road, but should take it slow and easy. The road is still dirt with fist-size stones, but after two months of dozer work the big rocks are gone, and it's graded and filled. It does washboard - gravel to fill holes and improve the surface is still an unfilled wish."
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Thanks Dave!
I know a few folks that have canoed and fished in there and said it was great!!!
Craig Lake SP that is :)
DaveH
NewbieCake

Post by DaveH »

You're welcome. Oddly enough, I was just reading up on Craig Lake State Park last night and considering checking it out if we go through the U.P. on the way to Oshkosh this July.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Are you going to the EAA fly in?
DaveH
NewbieCake

Post by DaveH »

Yes, we are going to EAA Airventure. Went in '05 and it was really something to see and experience. Unfortunately, we're going this year primarily for the memorial wall ceremony as a friend of our's name will be on it. Going to go to the show on the Friday and Saturday before the wall ceremony and we'll be tenting it on site at Camp Scholler.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I plan on stopping at Criag Lake SP if my IR boat comes home on schedule for Fri Sept. 25th. I would stay there Friday thru Saturday morning.

I will be sure to a TR w/ pics if I go.
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz