Drummond and Les Cheneaux Islands

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Drummond and Les Cheneaux Islands

Post by johnhens »

Last weekend we made our way North through Michigan crossing the Mackinac Bridge nad once again we were in the UP!
We exited I-75 nad went East on 134 to De Tour Village and eventually Nicks cabin. I must say, the ride along 134 is beautiful, the islands along the way were calling for us to kayak them. We passed through Cedarville where the Les Cheneauxs are and eventually we arrived in De Tour. We made our way to Nick's cabin soon arriving.
I have to say, the location of his cabin is magnificent, a great view of the De Tour passage and the Islands of Drummond Island.
After a wonderful dinner, we grabbed our kayaks and paddled the nearshore waters as the day was ending. It was cool to be so close to the freighters transiting the De Tour passage and St Mary's river eventually going through the Soo locks. We enjoyed a nice paddle and a beautiful sunset. We returned to the cabin and enjoyed the quiet and gentle hum of freighters up and down bound. We had a nice evening talking and retired early as it had been a long day for us.

I was up early the next day, I enjoyed the quiet of the morning and went for a walk as the ride in was a blur. Again, the beauty of the area was awesome!! Nick and his wife Julia were soon up and we enjoyed coffee by the waters edge. We checked the weather and decided with the threat of thunderstorms, we would paddle a chain of inland lakes on Drummond Island. We loaded boats and were off the ferry dock for the short ride to Drummond. After a fine breakfast, we looked at the paddle to Harbor Island NWR (part of Seney NWR), a horseshoe shaped island off shore. We went to the launch for First Lake, part of a chain and decided to paddle there. It was an interesting paddle. the "lake" was shallow, mostly reed covered. The map shows all 4 of the lakes as being lakes, but the reality was different. It was cool paddling through the grass, reeds and lily pads. We reached the far end of the lake, where a channel would lead us to Second Lake. Nick and Julia and Tricia paddled one way, I another. I never made it Second Lake, but came close. It was warm and humid and the bugs were starting to come out so we headed back to the ferry landing. We stopped at a few stores to get dinner ingredients as Nick was preparing his Isle Royale specialty, whole wheat pasta with a peanut sauce.

We returned to Nicks cabin, abtly named Paddlers Point for another fine dinner. We enjoyed a lively game of Phase 10 and various forms of alchohol. It was late when we went to bed. I didn't get up early the next day. We opted to paddle the Les Cheneauxs in Cedarville. I had first heard of them in the 90's from some people who I did work for. They knew of my love of the UP and paddling and said I need to go there. The winds were NW 10-15 and increasing. We thought we would be somewhat sheltered, that turned out not to be the case. We paddled to the end of Government Island, hoping that paddling on the outside would allow us paddle in the lee of the Island. Government Island, by the way, is owned by the USFS and camping is allowed at designated spots. It would be a nice place to spend the night. The paddle back was into the wind which was steady at 20-25 with gusts to 30, the strongest winds I have paddled in. It was challenging paddling back. We stopped at friends of Nicks for a beer and badminton break. The people we met were very nice. The Wooden boats we saw were gorgeous, lots of classic Chris Crafts and Century inboards. We arrived back at our put in point, a resort that Nick's relatives owned and enjoyed yet another cold beer while loading up the boats. We returned to De Tour and got ready for dinner. We stopped to pick up friends of Nicks who had boated up from the Lower Penninsula. We went to the town of Raber and enjoyed a Good dinner!! We returned to the dock where Nick's friends were staying. We enjoyed a tour of their boat. We returned to the cabin and we got our gear together.

The ride home, what can be said about a ride home, we were not ready to leave!. We stopped in Traverse City to see another friend from Isle Royale who we met on our work trips. We had a nice lunch with his family and enjoyed his nicely gardened home. We left muc too soon, but had a long way to go. Later near Saugatuck, we stopped at a fruit stand I knew of from previous trips to get my favorite blueberries anywhere!!! We bought fresh fruit and had an easy ride from there home.
Thanks to Nick and Julia for their hospitality and friendship!!!
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Drummond and Les Cheneaux Islands

Post by Nick »

It was great having you visit. But, we seem to be missing six towels, three pillows, two ashtrays, and our dog.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Drummond and Les Cheneaux Islands

Post by johnhens »

Nick wrote:It was great having you visit. But, we seem to be missing six towels, three pillows, two ashtrays, and our dog.
So you haven't been in your workshop yet!!!
Katie offered to help drive!!!