Porcupine Mtns one of 10 Best State Parks

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Porcupine Mtns one of 10 Best State Parks

Post by johnhens »

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Porcupine Mtns one of 10 Best State Parks

Post by Backpacker534 »

I'd have to agree with the article. I hiked that park too, and had a great time. Excellent scenery.
Trip Report: http://briansplace.ynt1.com/backpack/20 ... 04pm_1.php
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Backpacker534 wrote:I'd have to agree with the article. I hiked that park too, and had a great time. Excellent scenery.
Trip Report: http://briansplace.ynt1.com/backpack/20 ... 04pm_1.php
I enjoyed your trip report of the porkies. Other then the black flies, it really makes me want to go there.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

The black flies can definitely be pesky, however, it didn't really detract from the overall enjoyment of the hike and the scenery. A little bug dope and a headnet usually make me feel more comfortable.
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Haven't been to the Porkies. I really want to and I'm thinking about going in late April or early May for 3-4 days of backpacking.
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
head2north
Trailblazer

Post by head2north »

It was around five years ago I camped on Superior around Little Carp River. I day triped up
to Mirror Lake with my fishing pole. I bushwacked to the large peninsula in middle of lake.

I caught my first Splake ever. The real suprise though was a large two-foot snow drift hiding
in the shadows. I will never forget as it was around June 10 and thought "If only I had some
beer to chill."
"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with earth" - Walt Whitman
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Mirror Lake is the highest lake in the Porkies, at 1531'. I had originally stated that it is the highest lake in the State of Michigan, but that is not the case. Dirkman Lake (1844') and Dirkwall Lake (1850') near Mount Curwood seem to be the highest lakes that I can find.
Last edited by IncaRoads on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

The problem with the Porkies is that I feel guilty. If I'm going all the way to Lake Superior, I really ought to just go to Isle Royale! :!: I guess I'm going to try the Porkies before the island opens.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

If you can fit the Porkies into your schedule before Isle Royale, all the better for you. My buddy and I hiked there for several days a few years back. It is a beautiful park so I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would actually like to hike there again some day. As a matter of fact, the Porkies is one of those places that evokes feelings in people similar to Isle Royale. From some of the posts and personal journals I have read on the internet, many people visit the park on a yearly or every-couple-year basis much like I.R. because they enjoy it so much.
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

Thanks. That's good to hear.
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

Found another Porkies trip report from a guy who has also been to Isle Royale and Yellow River State Forest in Iowa. He has a good web site:
http://sites.butler-bremer.com/web/klad ... index.html
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

Having been to the Porkies about twenty times I can only concur. There are wonderful sights in this gem of a park. If folks love hiking on Isle Royale they will appreciate the topography and landscape of the park. The hike along both Carp Rivers, the view from the Escarpment Trail, the calmness of the lily Pond, and the rugged terrain along portions of the Superior Trail and on the Correction Line Trail make the park a lovely location. In addition, the porkies features a number of waterfalls that are truly stunning. Greg R.
Greg M. Romaneck
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by michigandave »

After browsing the forums, researching and consulting with my 12 year old daughter on where she wants to go next, I purchased "Porcupine Mountains: Wilderness State Park, A Backcountry Guide for Hikers, Backpackers, Campers, and Winter Visitors" (Jim DuFresne, author). We've since booked a 4 day cabin to cabin backpacking trip for June of 2011. Yes, we're cheating with the cabins, but it sure will be nice to skip the tent and make up the difference in food. If the flies are bad, sleeping inside will be a a big help in keeping the morale up. When we leave the park on that Saturday, we're heading to Pictured Rocks and camping by the Superior shore. It's gonna be a long winter