Attention: Facebook and Google login has been disabled.

If you require Facebook and Google login, please let the board admins know via email: admin@isleroyaleforums.com

Vegan Backpacking Food

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

MAWalker
NewbieCake

Re: Vegan Backpacking Food

Post by MAWalker »

I eat very little meat and don’t buy many premade dehydrated meals - too much salt, and I’m allergic to onion. So I dehydrate tons of vegs to bulk up the few I do buy, and also lots of fruit so no preservatives like a lot of purchased dried fruit. So I mostly eat thick veg soups, nut butters on tortillas, nuts, dried fruits, and homemade bars. I add chia and flax to most things, and also make a lot of bean or sweet potato bark to thicken my soups. I eat really well on trail, but it looks different than a lot of junky stuff many people carry. If you haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend www.backpackingchef.com!! Glenn has amazing info and recipes for dehydrating.

Moderator Edit: fixed typo.

bobcat
May actually live on IR

Post by bobcat »

I recently switched to plant-based eating, and I am currently trying to dehydrate some new dinners to see if they will work on the trail. Planning a kayaking trip to IsRo in August.

Dinners: lentils and rice, burritos with Mexican rice and beans, chickpea peanut butter stew with tomato’s, and cuoscuos curry with vegetables. 4-day rotation. The lentil and rice and the couscous curry are longtime standards so I know they work.

Breakfast is oatmeal with raisins and a bit of maple sugar granules. Lunch is a continuous progression of snacks including Lara Bars, whole-grain crackers with hummus or peanut butter, dried fruit, trail mix.

Hope this gives you some more ideas!

Western Midwesterner
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Western Midwesterner »

Hiya Bobcat!

Although I am not a vegan, I eat almost exclusively vegan on trail. It's so much lighter and less prone to spoilage. I'm hiking IR this July, West to East and with a 7-day vegan meal plan. Much of my meal planning comes from the book Another Fork in the Trail by Laurie Ann March. I have a few other meals I've come up with on my own that have become staples. Feel free to contact me if you want to swap recipes!

bobcat
May actually live on IR

Post by bobcat »

OK, my meals are packed for a 2-week trip kayaking through the inland canoe routes. I know of that book, mentioned above, and I have a couple favorite sources of my own including Lip-Smacking Vegetarian Backpacking by Tim and ?? Connors, And "The Hungry Hiker's Book of Good Cooking" by Gretchen McHugh. On this trip, I actually had more issues with planning and inventing lunches. I ended up inventing two cold-soak salad recipes that work ok at home and as packed lunches for work, so this trip will be a good test. Normally bagels last for 4-5 days, tortillas last a bit longer depending on the brand and packaging, and then I use crackers......which can be stale and crumbled after two weeks in a pack, even if stored in a plastic box. This cold-soak trial will be a good test, and if it doesn't work out I will be close enough to Rock Harbor store at that point that I can purchase supplemental food! My intended route is about ten days out in the central inland waterways and then four to 5 days in Rock Harbor (the waterway) exploring places on the barrier islands, dayhikes and hopefully an MV Sandy excursion to Passage Island. With a kayak, I can camp at Caribou Island and Tooker's Island as well as the four shoreline campgrounds, so hopefully I will find places to stay despite it being the busiest time of the summer!