Jerky

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Jerky

Post by jerry »

Does anyone have a name and location for good jerky from Duluth north towards Grand Portage?

jerry
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Jerky

Post by johnhens »

Don't have name for anyplace particular, but perhaps a butcher in Duluth (fonix?) as they generally have soem type of jerky.

On a related note, Tricia makes awesome Jerky :lol:
fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fredly »

Since I have a dehydrator and a decent supply of venison in the freezer, I made my own, which we intend to bring on our trip to the island Aug 28 - Sept 2, 2010. My hiking partners have whole-heartedly agreed that is is acceptable.
RichardT
NewbieCake

Post by RichardT »

I love jerky while camping. I need to learn to make my own because it can get expensive at the store. I find jerky makes a good meat for dinner and lunch and also snacks while camping and hiking.
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

I've made jerky in the past both by means of my smoker and by dehydrator, but the results were just OK. I tried again this past weekend in preparation for a trip to the island in July. I came across this recipe, which was very good. I used flank steak which I sliced thin with a jerky cutter. I could not find liquid smoke so I used smoke flavored pepper. I used my dehydrator. The entire family loved it and the nearly 3 pounds disappeared in days. I intend on making it again soon and hiding the product so we have it for our trip. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/docs-best- ... etail.aspx

Eric
omarkoup
NewbieCake

Post by omarkoup »

For anyone coming up I-75 Gustafson's in Brevort on US 2 has the best I have ever had!
CJN
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by CJN »

I make my own out of venison with a dehydrator.

Superior Meats in Superior, WI has great, meat sticks, jerky, brats etc
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Bob's Butcher Block (Jenison and Holland, MI -- Grand Rapids area) has amazing hunter's sausage that will happily survive un-refrigerated for a week or more.

I've never been a fan of tough jerky, so I've searched for a sausage that could substitute for it. We found a number of options, but Bob's is definitely the best and most true to the promise. (Although I have had Gustafson's jerky -- great taste! Just as chewy as ever, though.)
Last edited by dcclark on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I make my own jerky, two different flavor marinades. Top Sirloin beef, dehydrator. A good project.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC