Need last minute ideas for uncooked meals

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

HexFletch
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Need last minute ideas for uncooked meals

Post by HexFletch »

Arriving to Windigo via seaplane on May 30th. I've just learned that the Windigo concessionaire doesn't open until June 7th so we can't buy fuel for our stove there. And, of course, we can't fly with fuel. So, we've just adjusted our food plan to an entirely uncooked week. Right now we have a lot of tuna sandwiches and granola bars on the menu. Would love to hear other backpackers ideas of their favorite uncooked meals.
RDellar
NewbieCake

Re: Need last minute ideas for uncooked meals

Post by RDellar »

I too am arriving by SeaPlane on May 30th, but Im flying into Rock Harbor and am getting a fuel canister there. Why dont you just change direction and go East to west instead. Primus canisters are in stock at Rock Harbor right now. Im sure the plane has some flexibility for drop off and pickup changes. Might be worth a call.
HexFletch
NewbieCake

Post by HexFletch »

Thanks, I'm looking at that option now. Silly me - I just assumed that the Rock Harbor store was shut as well. Should have taken the time to ask the follow up question. :oops: Thanks!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

HexFletch take deep breath and breeeeath.

It's all good!

Enjoy your adventure.

I look forward to your report of your trip :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
HexFletch
NewbieCake

Post by HexFletch »

Breathing again! :D All is sorted out. Will follow up with a trip report. Can't wait to hit the trails!
sheepdog
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sheepdog »

At about lunch time, I put how ever much water required to hydrate the meal in a mountain house package. Seal the package and put it between your back and the pack. By dinner time it will be re-hydrated and kinda sorta warm.
If you find yourself in a fair fight: your tactics suck.