Any Food Drop Experience?

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Any Food Drop Experience?

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Has anyone done a food drop at Isle Royale before? I will be doing a 2 week circumnavigation this summer, and I will need a drop at Windigo. The website's instructions on it are very unclear. They said I should give a 3 day window for when my package could arrive at the island. Do I really have to wait that long? I was hoping to just stop in Windigo one day, pick up my food, and be off. Anyone done this before and has some experience with it? I could really use some help! Thanks!
-Froggy
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Any Food Drop Experience?

Post by jrwiesz »

I have had food drops the past two years at Windigo; it was just as easy, as you are hoping for.
I always use the largest Priority Mail box for my mailing(in the $15-$20 range).

Mail to:

Isle Royale National Park
Windigo Ranger Station
C/O Post-mistress Mary
Grand Portage, MN 55605

On the box, in several areas other than the mailing area, I also posted:

Attention: Please Hold for Hiker on or about (insert your pick-up date).

I have also used that same box at Windigo to mail used, unwanted gear/items back to my home; because I included in the drop box(prior to mailing to Windigo), extra tape, filled out mailing label(to home address), two extra envelopes - one is pre-addressed and pre-stamped(to your home), one is addressed to:

Post-mistress Mary
C/O Post Office
Grand Portage, MN 55605

In this envelope(to Post-mistress) insert your self-stamped/addressed envelope along with a $20.00 dollar bill for the return postage. Post-mistress Mary will mail you your change.

After I make the swap of fresh supplies with the old unwanted gear/supplies:

1) I cut off enough tape to re-seal the box and attach the return postage envelope(with return change envelope and money) to the box.
2) I put my tape and other send back items in the box.
3) I attach my return address label to the box over the label that sent it to Windigo.
4) I attach the envelope(after sealing it) for Post-mistress Mary to the box(so it can be removed later).
5) I give the package to the staff in the ranger station, ask if they would please add it to the out-going mail.
6) I get back to hiking :D

PM me, if you need further assistance.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I would add to my previous post; I always have just mailed my drop to the Isle, the day I leave from home in lower MI.

It has more than enough time to meet me in Windigo, when I'm hiking thru RH. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

We tried to keep our pack weight down to a minimum so we had two boxes delivered by Voyageur. The first box was delayed by weather. This threw our schedule off about a half day. The second box arrived at Windigo on schedule. You need to follow some detailed instructions if you decide to use Voyageur for delivery.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

If you want a package delivered to Windigo or Rock Harbor it can go via US Mail, these are the only designated mail drops for visitors. Keep in mind that if you are not present to receive the package it will be left on the dock if you specify this, (technically, if it is US Mail we should return it as undeliverable but we know the circumstances involved so we don't) the park service staff is not obligated to collect and hold mail for visitors, not that they won't, but don't make that assumption, check with them in advance. It can go to the store on either end to be held but they have a per day charge for this. If you want something delivered to any other point on the island it will be delivered as a parcel and additional charges may apply.

The way to get a package by US mail is to address it to yourself care of the Voyageur II, Grand Portage, MN 55605, not Mary the postmaster, (this creates extra work for her and she has plenty to do already), on the package put either Windigo or Rock Harbor as this is where US Mail goes, we are the mail carriers for the island so there will be no other charges, the price you pay at your local post office to get it to the boat is the total. You can put a date on it, we will "try" to deliver on that date, you should also try to mail the package as close to the preferred delivery date as possible, the post office and the boat don't have the room to store or sort packages, when it comes in it gets delivered just like all other mail. Like I said we will try to get it to Windigo or Rock Harbor on your preferred date if it is marked on the package.

To get a package out other than by US Mail or to other points you need to get it to Grand Portage, that can happen by sending it through the mail, UPS, Fedex, or carrying it yourself if your trip originates in Grand Portage. Clearly mark, in several places on the package, your name, the date and place you want to pick it up. All packages will be left at the dock if you are not present to receive it, we will not take it back nor have we ever had a package taken by someone other than the owner. The cost for this is around a dollar a pound and you need to call the ferry office to arrange it. Your package will receive a ticket and become a passenger of sorts on our manifest for the trip, and will be scheduled for delivery on the date you specify.

The process is really very simple if you follow the instructions, remember that if weather or other circumstances prevent us from going, the mail and packages will be delayed as well but this can't be helped or anticipated. It is just the way things are on Isle Royale.
FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Thanks for all the info guys, it is much appreciated.