Meal Plan Critique?

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Meal Plan Critique?

Post by hooky »

In on Tuesday PM - Out on Saturday AM

2 people - one a pudgy middle aged guy and the other a scrawny bottomless pit teenager.

5 Oatmeal with apples and/or craisins (for the pudgy guy)
5 Hashbrowns with turkey sausage on a tortilla.
2 Rigatoni with red sauce, peppers, onions and hamburger
2 Rigatoni with alfredo, broccoli and hamburger
4 cous cous with onions, peppers, corn and black beans
2 Beef Stroganof
8-16 Clif Bars (still debating this line item)
2 lbs of GORP
Coffee & Hot Chocolate
1 freeze dried ice cream sandwich and 2 cupcakes (my son's birthday is our first day on the island, so we have to celebrate it)

Calorie intake for me is around ~3000/day. For my son, it's 4,000+. I expect to lose 7-10 lbs on this trip, but he doesn't have any weight to spare.

4 days, plus planning for an extra day = 20 hot meals and enough lunch/snack food to keep the boy fed and moving. We found out last year that he definitely marches on his stomach and is a better hiker when his mind is on the trail and not on food.

I'll need 20 oz's of fuel to pull it off. It takes about 2 oz's to boil a quart of water with my alcohol stove and each meal with coffee or hot chocolate takes a quart of water.

I haven't weighed everything yet, but without the clif bars, ice cream sandwich and cupcakes, the food listed weighs 6 lbs 9 oz's.

Does this sound about right to everyone for 2 people for 5 days?