Berries

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

TMetz
NewbieCake

Berries

Post by TMetz »

Hello, what berries might I find in mid July, and where on the island?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Berries

Post by Ingo »

My experience is that mid-July is a little early for berries. If any are ripe they're probably inland on the ridges where it tends to be warmer.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I agree with Ingo, but there are so many microclimates on the island, you may get lucky. When they do appear, thimbleberries are everywhere. Be sure to look them up so you know what they look like. I think they are delicious. Blueberries and raspberries are common too. I understand that strawberries can be found, and I think I have seen the plants, but I have not seen the fruit.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Perhaps some early blueberries, along the ridges leading up to Ojibway Tower, from Daisy Farm. If you happen to be in that area.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Boomer
NewbieCake

Post by Boomer »

I know it doesn't help you now but for future penology....I hiked North to South in late Aug/early Sept. The thimbleberries were plentiful but winding down. They could be found just about everywhere along the trail. The blueberries were about done...I've never seen such tiny blueberries. The raspberries were all but done. There were a fair amount of chokecherries on the Windigo side of the Greenstone. Nobody messes with them but I found them very ripe and sweet...remember to spit the seeds. Plump tasteless rosehips could be found from one end of the island to the other. I did eat a fair amount of apples off a tree in Windigo...although they weren't overly ripe the were still tasty and refreshing after a week of pack food.