Now in my top 7 for "must have" cooking gear...

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Now in my top 7 for "must have" cooking gear...

Post by JavaHiker »

https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Wrap-He ... B008VUCNSS

I was skeptical when this first came out, but now I fold and pack some of it for every trip, particularly if I am hoping for fish or have something I need semi-steamed.

Seal fish steaks, lemon-pepper spice and olive oil in the wrap and cook in a pot with a low steaming layer of water for 10 minutes. Turn three or four times. It is even reusable for 6-7 more pieces.

Soak dehydrated fruit or vegetables and then steam roasting them creates a surprisingly tender addition to any meal. I'm testing it as a possible steam baking container this week before we head to Windigo next Wednesday...

Just my humble opinion...
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Now in my top 7 for "must have" cooking gear...

Post by paulbates »

+1. Reynolds also make a "Grill" variety foil that is similar. You have to do something extreme to burn / stick food on it. Though I've not done it, Its strong enough to construct simple accessories out of like you describe.

In related news, we stop by Windigo on Wednesday coming from Hugginin to pick up our 2nd half box o' supplies off of the boat. Maybe we'll see you there. I know the weather can be fickle.. but, have you seen the forecast? :D

Paul
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I take at least 1 piece on every trip, as I use HD foil as a windscreen for my pop can stove. On the last couple of BWCA trips, I've taken some in lieu of a skillet for frying fish.
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

paulbates wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 pm +1.
In related news, we stop by Windigo on Wednesday coming from Hugginin to pick up our 2nd half box o' supplies off of the boat. Maybe we'll see you there. I know the weather can be fickle.. but, have you seen the forecast? :D

Paul
You can't miss us. We're the people with the 17' sea bobbers.

We're lucky we changed our initial plans to start our trip this coming Wednesday rather than tomorrow. I check weather.com up until a week before a trip, then use weather.gov for final planning: the latter offers more accuracy and consistency IMHO. Listening to NOAA three times a day on our marine radio is a part of our routine. A gale like what is blowing up right now is the reason...
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

Yeh we just drove from Detroit to mackinaw city. Solid hard rain from Saginaw to here. Look for you then!

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Really heavy foil can be used as a windscreen for your stove.