Splitting Freeze Dried food(Mountain House)

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

pyrowaves
NewbieCake

Splitting Freeze Dried food(Mountain House)

Post by pyrowaves »

Getting ready for my trip in June. Somke of the food will be Mountain House. I got this pack from Costco.com:
https://www.costco.com/Mountain-House-P ... 71489.html

Some of the packs are going to be too large for me for one serving. I want to split them up.

Doe anyone have any tips? I'm currently trying to decide between ziplock bags, and my foodsaver vacuum bags. The ziplocks would be lighter(ish) but not necessarily be ok for mixing in hot water. The foodsaver bags are a little more robust and I think I can put hot water right into them for mixing.

Any alternatives? thoughts?

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Splitting Freeze Dried food(Mountain House)

Post by Ingo »

I repack them in quart size ziplock brand freezer bags and they take the boiling water fine. My wife made a couple of cozies out of insulated fabric that help them stand up. Haven't tried splitting them, though.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have bought 2 person meals, opened them at home, mixed the contents well, placed them in a vacumn bag and sealed them. No problems. I have also done as Mr. Ingo has. Split them in the field, using the existing package (after removing the little packet) and put the rest in a Feezer Ziplock for the next day. No problem. A cozy helps as suggested.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I also agree with Ingo -- repackage into appropriate servings. I usually bring one Mountain House bag along and reuse it for food prep, with a wash in between uses -- saves a lot of mess.
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

"mixed the contents well"

Pay attention to Johnhens' advice on this. Many years ago, we split Mountain House beef stew without realizing that the fine particles settle to the bottom. Not good. The first meals were soup and the next ones paste!
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
pyrowaves
NewbieCake

Post by pyrowaves »

Grandpa wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:34 am "mixed the contents well"

Pay attention to Johnhens' advice on this. Many years ago, we split Mountain House beef stew without realizing that the fine particles settle to the bottom. Not good. The first meals were soup and the next ones paste!
I knew I had to mix them, but with these suggestions i'll be sure to take extra care in doing so. Thanks!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

We use ziploc freezer bags too. Never had a problem. Pour water in the bag, stir it well, zip it up then put it in your cooking pot, put the lid on and place it under your sleeping bag. It stays hot and tends to absorb all of the water evenly. I have left them in for almost 2 hours and it was still plenty warm. We do an every other day thing with Mountainhouse meals; Have one then use the same bag to make Ramen noodles the next day. If anything is left over (usually intentionally), it adds flavor to the Ramen.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

This is basically how I eat on all of hiking trips. Dehydrated food (instead of MH) in freezer bags and use my knit cap as a coozy. In bear country, I use a padded UPS envelope with some relectix inside then stick that back in my vault or bear bag.

I totally agree on the mix well. Made that mistake when divvying up portions out a 10# can.