10 days / 9 night food plan

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

10 days / 9 night food plan

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Finished our food plan for our 10 days on the island. Trip is getting closer and closer, getting really excited!!

breakfast

lunch

dinner

cook kit
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: 10 days / 9 night food plan

Post by Tom »

...I've never been able to justify the weight of candy. :lol:
Love the rest of it, though. Do you ever carry energy/clif/protein bars in case you bonk on the trail?

Don't forget that at that time on the Isle, you should be able to supplement with some berries. Blueberries will still be harvesting; you might be a bit early for Thimbleberries.

In your evolution of gear, if all you ever do is light an isobutane stove, consider switching from lighters to a flint/firesteel. Once you get the hang of them, they're infinitely more reliable in all weather. (And you can always carry a small set of matches for a wood fire, if desired.)

Good luck!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Yes. I’ve been sick of cliff bars lately. So we have some “kind bars” this time. They should work for the longer days. I crave chocolate on the trail which is why we have candy usually. Not sure why bc I hardly eat sweets at home. We had lots of blueberries last year around the same time. Looking forward to the same. I’ve used firesteel before (actually many times) and honestly the mini bics are just more convenient for me. Never had a failure. Always bring two! We don’t bring matches (I used to) but I never used them. They got cut out of the gear list after that. We just don’t make a lot of campfires.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I hear ya. I switched it up to the Clif Builder's Protein for this trip, in chocolate, which is almost like candy. You'll want two for the hike between Desor North and Washington Creek. :P
It is always funny how trail diet (and what appeals) shifts while hiking and camping....

I also rarely tend to make a fire. Sure, I've joined in a community ring, but I think the only time I tend to make fires is if it's an end of season/Sept trip when it gets dark so much earlier. It just seems right then.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Haha. I’ve got several packed specifically for that day (NLD to Washington creek) and a payday candy bar lol. I have tried the builders bars before. They are packed with protein. Again I got sick of them. I think I overdid it on the cliff bars. I’ve got like 3 left from a box I bought this spring and I can’t bring myself to choke them down.

Winter and fall trips are the only time we do fires now as well.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

I'm starting to build my meal plan for my 14-night trip next month. Hearing you say "it looks like a lot of food, but really..." is totally resonating with me right now. I think my backpack is going to be half filled with food when I hit Rock Harbor :lol:

Hope it's a good trip and thanks for sharing!
Redbad
Trailblazer

Post by Redbad »

When I backpacked the Minong and Greenstone in 2011 (14 days), I did a food drop at the Windigo Ranger station by mailing myself food (Windigo serves as a post office and the Ranger there is the resident postmaster. Mail is delivered by the Voyager II). It really does save packweight. From talking to other longer term backpackers to ISRO, this is fairly common to do. There are pinned instructions elsewhere in this site for doing this. This could be a consideration.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Redbad wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am When I backpacked the Minong and Greenstone in 2011 (14 days), I did a food drop at the Windigo Ranger station by mailing myself food (Windigo serves as a post office and the Ranger there is the resident postmaster. Mail is delivered by the Voyager II). It really does save packweight. From talking to other longer term backpackers to ISRO, this is fairly common to do. There are pinned instructions elsewhere in this site for doing this. This could be a consideration.
Normally I'd consider that, since if the delivery somehow got misplaced or lost or I couldn't make it to Windigo for whatever reason the stores would be open to have an alternate resupply. But since I'll be there after the stores officially close I'm taking the cautious route. Feeding my paranoia: when I tried a thur-hike of the SHT years ago one of my food drops went "missing." They couldn't find it at the post office even though tracking info had it there. It arrived back at my house about 60 days later looking like it got ran over by a truck.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Yea our schedule wouldn’t work with a resupply. Also we just got back and it worked out great to just carry it all (I don’t like being forced to maintain a schedule —meeting a boat or making it to a post office on time). The food plan worked out for us really well. 14 days would be another challenge but I think double. Think smart about your other gear choices to keep weight down.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am Yea our schedule wouldn’t work with a resupply. Also we just got back and it worked out great to just carry it all (I don’t like being forced to maintain a schedule —meeting a boat or making it to a post office on time). The food plan worked out for us really well. 14 days would be another challenge but I think double. Think smart about your other gear choices to keep weight down.
I've been catching up with your recent trip and laugh at my food bag, because of course, I have Ramen Rescue for lunch pretty much every day. I'm a start-early, finish-early kind of guy and want a hot lunch (especially since I'm expecting cooler weather). But you're right, I think I'll get sick of the RR :lol:

This will be the first trip I think I'm going to start off with two food bags (just because noodles are actually bulky even though light).
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Tortuga wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Don’t get me wrong, RR is great stuff. It’s so light. I just ate it for like every backpacking dinner for over a year. I needed variety this time. Lol. The noodles are bulky but that’ll go down as your days pass. We crammed all our food for 2 ppl and 10 days into 3 bags. One was half full. By mid trip we were already condensing that down to 2 bags.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm ...I've never been able to justify the weight of candy. :lol:
More calorie dense than a freeze dried dinner :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Ingo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 pm
Tom wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm ...I've never been able to justify the weight of candy. :lol:
More calorie dense than a freeze dried dinner :).

Arguably tastier too