AeroPress Go Coffee Maker

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

AeroPress Go Coffee Maker

Post by JerryB »

In a fit of quarantine boredom, I just bought the AeroPress Go coffee maker. A cross between espresso and french press. You use whatever coffee you like best, ground fine. Pretty simple to make, especially if you try it out at home. It basically makes one to three shots of espresso which you dilute with hot water to make an Americano. The coffee is delicious and packs quite the caffeine punch. For best results, boil the water but let it sit off heat for one minute before making coffee. Clean up is a breeze.

Compared to Starbucks Via, there is a weight penalty, but the coffee is better and over time, will save you money over Via. I have not weighed it, but the manufacturer lists total weight at 11.5 oz. i cut that in half be leaving out the heavy plastic cup, heavy plastic cap, stirring stick and measuring spoon. The device fits perfectly over my titanium camp mug. Now i just need to get to the island!
glitch99
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: AeroPress Go Coffee Maker

Post by glitch99 »

Great info, JerryB. I'm a die-hard French press user and simply cannot get the transmission out of neutral without that morning java, but my backpacking press weighs 12 ounces, is a pain to clean on the trail and it's difficult to pack anything inside it. I looked at the AeroPress models which all get great reviews. I've just never been a fan of the Americano even though I know it technically should taste the same as regular coffee. For my next trip, I'm going to try the pour-over method. Just bought a Hario V60 Dripper small size made of plastic for $7 - weighs in at 2 ounces! Only downside I can see is having to dispose of the paper filters, but this may be the lightest way to get my authentic caffeine fix in the wilderness. I'll report back after my first field test!

Anyone else found a better, lightweight option for coffee? My buddy has the French press accessory for his JetBoil Flash and loves it. Only downside I can see there is making your coffee in the same vessel you might need to boil water for other reasons.
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, glitch99. If you don’t like americanos, you could just use a lighter roast. Your Hario sounds like a good option. a paper filter in the trash should not add much weight. The Aeropress also has a paper filter, but it is just the size of a small disc. For other options, since you ask, Starbucks Via was always my go-to option. Can’t beat the size!

Another question: I hope i have not been doing this wrong, but i scatter old coffee grounds. This is obviously not an issue with Via. Is anyone aware of issues this could create?
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I've recently become a fan of Mount Hagen instant coffee. It comes in the same little envelopes as the Starbucks Via, but I think it's a definite step up. Some folks might want to use two of the envelopes for about 8 oz of coffee (I use one envelope for 6 oz).
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I am not much of a coffee drinker, but as a gadget person, I have wondered about how well this would actually work for a coffee afficionado.

https://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi- ... ffee-maker

It's very light and compact.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Bobcat1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 am I am not much of a coffee drinker, but as a gadget person, I have wondered about how well this would actually work for a coffee afficionado.

https://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi- ... ffee-maker

It's very light and compact.
I use this exact model and love it. I am a coffee snob. Works great; packs light and easy. I actually have two of them (one for regular traveling).

PS, I'm buying one of those AeroPress Gos to try it out!