Dining recommendations in Houghton?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

glitch99
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Dining recommendations in Houghton?

Post by glitch99 »

We’re heading up to IR in 3 weeks! Spending Saturday night in Houghton before an 8am flight on Sunday.

Any recommendations for dinner on Saturday? Fresh seafood and/or a nice steak would be a nice pre-trip supper. The Den gets decent ratings on Yelp and TA. Anyone been there?

Hotel breakfast options still appear to be limited. Any good places for breakfast on the North side of the bridge? With an 8:00 flight I don’t want to take any chances of getting stuck on the wrong side of the canal.

Thanks for any suggestions!
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Dining recommendations in Houghton?

Post by johnhens »

Soumi for breakfast. Not sure if The Library is open, my favorite in Houghton.
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

We had good luck with the Ambassador for dinners on a couple of trips (pizza and sandwiches). In 2019 we had a celabratory steak at the Pilgrim River Steakhouse after coming off of the island. We enjoyed it. It looks like menus for both are on yelp.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

johnhens wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:59 am.....Soumi for breakfast.......
Can vouch for that. Great pancakes.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

glitch99 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 pmAny good places for breakfast on the North side of the bridge? With an 8:00 flight I don’t want to take any chances of getting stuck on the wrong side of the canal.
Suomi is good for breakfast but it is in Houghton (Suomi opens at 7am). In order to stick to the north side for breakfast I would normally recommend the Kaleva Cafe in Hancock but they do not open until 8am. If you have access to a fridge and microwave think about getting some breakfast pasties from Roy's (by the bridge in Houghton) then reheating them the next morning. But unless you are arriving earlier on Saturday they might sellout by the afternoon. Their "standard" pasties a re very good too.

For seafood, Joey's Seafood & Grill in Houghton is popular (I've eaten there once and it was good.) For fresh fish it can be difficult sometimes to find Lake Trout although Whitefish is usually plentiful. The Pilgrim usually has Lake Trout and so does Quincy's in Dollar Bay. You can call ahead to verify and/or get there early.

The Ambassador is always good for pizza and sandwiches. Try their Greek pizza with some added sausage :D
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
glitch99
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by glitch99 »

Midwest Ed wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:36 pm
If you have access to a fridge and microwave think about getting some breakfast pasties from Roy's (by the bridge in Houghton) then reheating them the next morning. But unless you are arriving earlier on Saturday they might sellout by the afternoon. Their "standard" pasties a re very good too.
Great suggestion, Ed! We are planning to hit Houghton by around 4:00 so hopefully they still have some left. Roy's was top on my list of places to grab some food!
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

glitch99 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:21 am
Midwest Ed wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:36 pm
If you have access to a fridge and microwave think about getting some breakfast pasties from Roy's (by the bridge in Houghton) then reheating them the next morning. But unless you are arriving earlier on Saturday they might sellout by the afternoon. Their "standard" pasties are very good too.
Great suggestion, Ed! We are planning to hit Houghton by around 4:00 so hopefully they still have some left. Roy's was top on my list of places to grab some food!
Call ahead. I'd bet they'd save you a couple of breakfast pasties (they do sell out). Otherwise they're open till 7pm. An iced cooler and heating over your camp stove would work as well.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013