Ideas for a 4 night stay

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

larrysheldon
NewbieCake

Ideas for a 4 night stay

Post by larrysheldon »

Planning my first trip to IR but have only 4 nights to burn. Any ideas for a nice backpacking trip? I really like to stop and smell the flowers, take lots of pictures and generally enjoy the scenery more than just trudging from point a to point b. I am in good shape though and will travel alone. I will leave from mich, Copper H. end of June.
yankee60
NewbieCake

Re: Ideas for a 4 night stay

Post by yankee60 »

I didn't check miles on this, but how about:

Night 1: Lane Cove
Night 2: West Chickenbone
Night 3: Moskey Basin
Night 4: Rock Harbor

A couple of the days will be long, but this will allow you time to hike around Rock Harbor and to Scoville Point before the boat arrives on your last day.

Or:
Night 1: Daisy Farm
Night 2: Lane Cove
Night 3: Lane Cove (a day of exploring and hiking to Lookout Louise
Night 4: Three Mile or Rock Harbor
Gullaker
NewbieCake

Post by Gullaker »

If money isnt a bit issue taking a water taxi out to Chipawa Harbor or McCargoe Cove and hiking back to Rock Harbor could be fun trips.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

May I suggest a stroll from rock harbor to mccargoe cove, then to w. chickenbone, take the greenstone to Lane cove and then last night at Rock harbor, explore the trails all around this end of the island. This is an enjoyable and doable hike.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Depends on what part of the island you are coming into. From Windigo you have the Feldtmann Lake - Siskiwit Bay - Island Mine (only good if you like a fire at camp) - Washington Creek - Huginnin Cove loops.

But realize that if you look at trip reports, it does not seem to matter what time of year you go, you could end up stuck on the island an extra day or so due to weather so make sure you plan a buffer day or two. The ranger stations can get emails to anyone at home to let them know you will be late (they did our daughters when we were stuck there).
sandystAR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sandystAR »

My first trip was August 2010. I did a solo backpack trip and had only 4 nights. I am a slower hiker but really enjoyed my itinerary:

Day 1 - Rock Harbor to 3 Mile (via Tobin Trail)
Day 2 - 3 Mile to Lane Cove
Day 3 - Lane Cove up to Greenstone Ridge with a trip up the Ojibway Tower then Daisy Farm
Day 4 - Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor (via Rock Harbor Trail)
Day 5 - Stolll Trail to Scoville Pt-boarded ferry to Copper Harbor

Have fun!