cell phones

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: cell phones

Post by Rafiki »

I am not sure if it was already stated, but if you go up to the ridge on Chippewa Harbor behind the school house, I know there was a gentleman (I think his name was Rob) that we meet while he was staying on the site for two weeks at the begining of May because there was no stay limits this time of year who was able to call his wife back home to see how she was doing. So yes, there is some places where one can get reception, but it is usually at high elevation points and a lot of the times if you are able to get a signal on the North side of the island, it will be from a Canadian cell phone tower which I do not know how your cell phone company will charge you for using their towers if you do not have free international calls made outside the country built into your plan.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)