New, Faster boat to replace the Wenonah

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

New, Faster boat to replace the Wenonah

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: New, Faster boat to replace the Wenonah

Post by jerry »

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about coming back on the Wenonah this coming summer. Guess it'll be on the new boat.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Nice article!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Love the photo - Not sure what Wenonah that is (Wenonah II?) but it's not the Wenonah we've all come to love..

A few of us had been waiting for Capt Don to make the big announcement, but since the cat's out of the bag, I guess we can talk about it! Capt Don had been eyeing Sea Hunter III for a while, and things finally came together. She was being used as a dive vessel I beleive out of NY Harbor. She has some pretty beefy diesels, with a great cruising rate. Also, being aluminum, she'll draft less than the Wenonah, so hopefully no more cancelled seasons.
At this point, she'll replace the Wenonah service to Windigo; but I suppose times that the V-II might get laid up on weather and needs to make a 'full' around the island run on day, she could be put into that service. I think the new boat (sorry, just can't call it Sea Hunter III any more, that's a silly name) can take larger waves that the V-II, from a Coast Guard perspective.
Don showed me photos of her this Sept, right before he left for NY. I will say, she's a beauty, and will make a fine addition to the fleet. There is some retrofitting that needs to be done, and I think the gang is currently hard at work in a Superior shipyard doing just that. Hopefully they'll finish this spring, as hoped.
I for one say "count me in on the first boat!" - Maybe we should get a forum group together for the excursion, although I'm sure plenty of IR fans will want to see her out, too.
Capt Don originally thought he might solicit naming suggestions from folks on the forum (right of refusal and ultimate selection by Don and Jen, of course - He didn't think our suggestion of "Cove Probe" would endear the NPS folks..)

I'm not sure if she has a new name yet, but what would you call her?
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

I'll see if I can get a hold of Capt Don to get us some pictures, but here is one I found online:

http://mysite.verizon.net/adonn/Doria.html
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Tom,

Did Capt. Don give you an idea of how many people he thought could be carried on board when going to Windigo/Rock Harbor?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Hi folks,

I just spent an hour writing a detailed report on the new boat, clicked on preview to proof read and it prompted me log back in, anyway, that lost it. Me and computers have our issues. So here is a brief synopsis. The boat is 62'x16' with a 4.5' draft, very similar dimensions to the VII, but with a modified vee hull and reverse chines allowing for planing and a very steady and stable platform, no rolling and rocking that the Wenonah was so famous for. It will get to Windigo in an hour or so with the sightseeing stops so even in rougher conditions there will be very little exposure time to cause discomfort. It is certified for 67 passengers with inside seating and outside seating with excellent visibility and a complete walkaround deck. I have some pictures of the trip back going through the canals, locks and such but don't know how to get them on here, I can send them to someone if they are interested in posting them.

We ran this boat 1600 miles in October through the lakes and were very impressed with the ride and sea keeping ability. This season will be a test of sorts, to see how the boat serves the route of the Wenonah. If we see areas where improvements are needed we will be able to plan and make them so it is "dialed in" by next season.

I know it needs a new name, I haven't had the time nor enough memory available in my head to get this done yet, I am open to suggetions, be it a contest, election or whatever for a method to come up with a new name.

I will answer any questions people may have pertaining to the boat. I am back in the seat of the semi truck again this winter running around Canada primarily and this week I will be in Grand Portage pursuing fish under the ice so my internet access is limited. I will check here when I am able.

Reservations will be availble online in a couple of weeks, the website will be updated with the info as soon as the new 2011 schedules are loaded into the system.

Thanks for all the interest,
Don
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

"What I did on my Fall Vacation", by Capt. Don.

http://community.webshots.com/album/579486203mtXmMh

(Sorry, the forum doesn't seem to be accepting direct photos right now, I'll check with Fonix..)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Awesome to hear from you, Capt Don. I am very excited for the new boat...especially the speed.

If you are interested in setting up a thread to take suggestions for the new boat, we can sure do that, then make a poll for the finalists. Let me know if that's something you'd like us to do.

I'll also take a look at pictures and the forum and see what's going on. Enjoy your fishing!
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

I suppose it's probably just considered mean to call her "Ranger IV" or "Isle Royale Queen V." :twisted:

I seem to recall in the same conversation where "Cove Probe" and "Isle Intruder" were vetoed :wink: , Capt Don wasn't considering Wenonah II...
So, here's a couple historical options:

"Linklater" - Named after John Linklater, the last Ojibwe to live on the Island.
"Recovery II" - The first "Recovery" was the schooner Robert McCargo sailed into a cove (Later named after him) to hide from Americans during the War of 1812.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Name the boat: I suggest Minong I

Where did this Isle Royale Map/art come from that is awesome and I want one. My wife gave me a framed 4x3' ISRO map for x-mas and this would look great in my man cave with it
fonixmunkee wrote:Test post with image.

This is temp.

90k image file (JPG)
P1000891.JPG
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

colvinch wrote: Where did this Isle Royale Map/art come from that is awesome and I want one. My wife gave me a framed 4x3' ISRO map for x-mas and this would look great in my man cave with it
It's actually a raised wood carving from Tory Kaupang. http://www.tjkwoodwright.com/index.html. Similar to your situation, my girlfriend got it for me last year for Christmas. I absolutely love it, the detail and quality is remarkable.

You won't find it on his showcase because it's the only one he's ever made. I'm sure if you were to contact him, however, he'd still have the template to gin out another one...
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

I saw a similar map concept to this at a fishing show a few years ago and I still have his card. The guy is actually in the Lansing area. I am going to check it out I love the detail and the amount of work that goes into a project like this. You are a lucky man to get this for a gift, I remember looking up the prices of the other artist's and that is why I don't have one yet, but now I don't think I can resist
fonixmunkee wrote:
colvinch wrote: Where did this Isle Royale Map/art come from that is awesome and I want one. My wife gave me a framed 4x3' ISRO map for x-mas and this would look great in my man cave with it
It's actually a raised wood carving from Tory Kaupang. http://www.tjkwoodwright.com/index.html. Similar to your situation, my girlfriend got it for me last year for Christmas. I absolutely love it, the detail and quality is remarkable.

You won't find it on his showcase because it's the only one he's ever made. I'm sure if you were to contact him, however, he'd still have the template to gin out another one...
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Bump. See the boat naming contest in the announcement above the topics.