Name that Boat! A contest

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Name that Boat! A contest

Post by fonixmunkee »

All,

I just got off the phone with Capt Don, and he gave the go-ahead to start using the Isle Royale Forums to collect possible names for the new boat! Not only will the winner get the glory of naming a watercraft that will bring so many people to such a treasured place, s/he will get the chance to win a free ride on it!

Here are the rules for Name that Boat:

1. Follow the guideline (below) for your name suggestion.
2. Post your suggestion in this thread. Only one suggestion per person! I'll monitor the thread to enforce this rule.
3. No name suggestions will be accepted after midnight (CST) on Wednesday, February 9th.
4. The list of names will be presented to Capt Don. He'll pick the top 10 (that fit into the guidelines).
5. The top 10 names will be posted in a week-long poll.
6. After the poll closes, the top vote-getter will be presented to Capt Don for his final approval!

The only guideline for Name that Boat is:

The name must be something easy to say on the radio. (There are lots of great names out there, but if they are six sylables long, it's too hard to communicate.) Try to keep it simple, think "Wenonah", "Ranger" or "Voyageur".

Also, as cool as it sounds, "Minong" can't be used. It's already the name of a boat on the island. Sorry.

Lastly, Capt Don and company get the final say as to whether or not the winning name is used. It is, after all, their boat. This poll is merely to help them out.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Name that Boat! A contest

Post by Ingo »

"Belle of the Isle" - for my favorite place; also a thoroughbred--she's fast, right?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I was going to suggest Belle Isle, but that's too similar to Ingo's suggestion (or is it?).

I'll go with Greenstone; sounds good on the radio too.

ETA: Greenstone is already taken by a park service boat. My new choice is Kinomaagan (Ojibwa for The Great Teacher).
Last edited by Tampico on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I'm suggesting "The Lady" after the Lake that we have to cross to ISRO. jerry
sminthieus
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sminthieus »

only one submission per person - it's killing me. And there are already good suggestions up already... ufda.
I was thinking The Wolf's Eye since IR looks like the eye in the wolf head of Lake Superior and the ongoing legacy of the wolf/moose research. And if you say Wolf's eye enough, it'll come across as wolfee, which sounds appropriately gruff and endearing.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Siskowit, for the name of the mine between Daisy Farm and Threemile. There is also another spelling for the lake and peak, Siskiwit.
Last edited by IncaRoads on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

IncaRoads wrote:Siskowit
That name is already being used by the Malone Bay ranger boat. At least that's what they answer to on the radio.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Tampico wrote:I was going to suggest Belle Isle, but that's too similar to Ingo's suggestion (or is it?).
You probably could have gone with "(The) Isle Belle" as a variation on a theme... Or we can just give Ingo credit for anything Belle like... (That rings a Belle!) :oops:

I'll stick with my historical "(The) Linklater." The barons and big families all got islands named after him, the last Ojibwe, well, he just got a small lake...
colvinch
LNT Expert

Post by colvinch »

Since Minong is already used. I will stick with another Ojibwe name

Migizi (pronounced: Mee-gee-see), meaning is Eagle
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:"Belle of the Isle" - for my favorite place; also a thoroughbred--she's fast, right?
Does the NPS have a boat called the Belle Isle? (A Bertram I think?)
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

johnhens wrote:
Ingo wrote:"Belle of the Isle" - for my favorite place; also a thoroughbred--she's fast, right?
If you're referring to the Amydaloid Is. ranger boat, I think that one is called [The] Amygdaloid. It is a Betram Moppie, however.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote:
Tampico wrote:I was going to suggest Belle Isle, but that's too similar to Ingo's suggestion (or is it?).
You probably could have gone with "(The) Isle Belle" as a variation on a theme... Or we can just give Ingo credit for anything Belle like... (That rings a Belle!) :oops:

I'll stick with my historical "(The) Linklater." The barons and big families all got islands named after him, the last Ojibwe, well, he just got a small lake...
Yeah, I considered all variations, and settled on the one I liked best, given the "rules" :( . I'm all for putting up any variation for Capt Don's consideration. And not at all concerned about credit :)

Of course if the NPS has any boat with "Belle" in it, it's probably a moot point.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
iroy6
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by iroy6 »

My suggestion is "Stanley" after long-time and much-loved former captain of the Wenonah, Stanley Sivertson.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

"The Peterson". In honor of Rolf and Candy who have devoted their lives to Isle Royale and are great people.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

johnhens wrote:
I stand corrected, the Amygdaloid Island ranger boat is indeed called The Belle Isle.