Sea Hunter III - A review.

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Sea Hunter III - A review.

Post by Tom »

Thought I would jot down some notes from a recent excursion I had on the Sea Hunter III. She's quite the replacement to the Wenonah!

Photos are available at http://picasaweb.google.com/10109625954 ... HunterIII#

First things first: The Sea Hunter III is the 65' aluminum ferry that transits between Grand Portage and Windigo for day trips; and can equally carry hikers. She follows a more tour format, visiting Witches Tree, the Susie Islands, the wreck of the America, and Rock of Ages light house. (The first three happen inbound, the latter on the outbound return leg.) Other sightseeing points may be added, like a fishery, if she needs to stall a little. (More on that later.)
I was going to be hiking this trip, as were six others. The remaining 50+ on the boat were visiting for the day. Hikers should report 45 minutes prior to departure, day trippers can show up about 20 minutes prior for boarding.
At present, the packs are stored in the lower bow compartment. You will be asked to carry (when ready) your pack on board, into the cabin area, where you will hand it to a crew member in the hold. Because the packs are stored in enclosed space, all fuel needs to be removed from your pack. There is a simple plastic crate that will store your fuel on the stern. Having travelled the Wenonah in the past, I knew enough to a.) Label my fuel bottle, and b.) Put a simple twist tie on it. Even there was only seven of us, it's suprising how similar MSR bottles can look. Experience has taught me to make mine look unique, as then I can hit the trail all the faster! Consider doing the same.
Canoes and Kayaks are stored on top the cabin, not dissimilar to how the Voyageur carries them. The crew will assist you in loading, of course.
Once your pack is loaded, you again disembark to await boarding call. If you've never been on Lake Superior before, let me clue you in: Even in August, the water temp between Grand Portage and Isle Royale may only be 42 degrees. Wear layers. I personally go with a base layer, a light jacket, and top it with a rain jacket. I put on rain pants this trip, as well.
When she is ready to board, the first mate will start calling names off the roster, and ask you to board (your entire party, please) at that time. Names are then called until everyone is accounted for and on board. At that time the Captain starts the engines, the moorings cast, and away she goes.
As far as seating, there several places to set, but fair portion is exposed to the elements. The bow has a platform below the wheelhouse that can seat about six. There is a nice slight recline against the boat that is quite comfortable. It's also fairly quiet up front... Unless, of course, you hit fog and they need to turn on the horn.
Along the sides of the boat, there are seats about 12" deep or so. This serves a tour format boat quite well, the only problem I saw is that with a full boat, when people set in the seats it makes it difficult to walk past them - Much like at a stadium. The stern has some stadium like seating. I didn't count how many could set, but a good 18-20 I think. Capt Don indicated that in certain seas, the back gets a little spray, and so putting on some rain gear is a safe bet. On my excursions, the seas were between calm and 3 feet, and everyone stayed dry. In the center of the boat there is an enclose space that has additional bench seating. All the seating is very "communal" in so much that on a busy ferry, you'll be setting close to your neighbor. Oh well, keeps everyone warm.
The interior space is somewhat sound insulated, and was very tolerable. The stern was probably the loudest place, as the engines are exhausting out behind you.. and about those engines... The Sea Hunter is one powerful ferry. She has twin turbo diesels with plenty of horsepower to spare. In combination with her hull design, she can accelerate quite impressively. After visiting the America wreck, we still needed to sail up Washington Harbor. The captain throttled up the engines, and she was probably up to cruising speed in about 5 seconds. You could feel the push as we came up out of the water. (The hull somewhat planes on the water, also making it a decent ride.) Whereas the Voyageur II cruises between 12-13 (and occasionally 14) MPH according to my GPS, the Sea Hunter was averaging 20-21mph. What does this mean? Well, it means less time crossing the big part of the lake. I timed our crossing from Rock of Ages light house to Grand Portage dock on the return leg. It was 1:02 total. The entire ferry trip is 1:30, approximately, each way... Which, as I indicated earlier, she'll sometimes add a stop here or there to sightsee. On days the Voyageur II is outbound to the Isle, she departs Portage at 7:30, goes straight to Windigo, arriving at 9:30. She spends 30 minutes there before setting sail around the North side. Early in the season, the Sea Hunter, departing at 8:30 and still taking a tour trip, was making it to Windigo before all the permits and LNT talks had finished for the Voyageur... So, a nice little pattern has been made where the Sea Hunter can radio in to determine how things are going, and stall a little if need be, so the Voyageur can be on it's way and there is no confusion on the dock.
When you arrive, those backpacking will be split from the day trippers, and get the obligatory LNT talk. The day trippers get an abbreviated version. When the hiker LNT is complete, Charlie (the first mate) arranges a great gang-line, where the hikers line up from hold to stern, and pass all the gear off of the boat an onto the dock. For that reason, please, please, please don't be the person who loosely lashes miscellaneous gear and hiking poles carelessly to your pack. In the past, it might hurt a crew member. Now, you might hurt ME, too!

In talking with the Rangers at Windigo, they are taking full advantage of the extra time that day trippers can spend on the Island. (Now about four hours.) In the past they used to do two Ranger talks during the window, and they've added a third, so they can reach more guests. Visitors can hike to Grace Overlook and still have time to come back and have a sandwich or catch another talk.

Ultimately, the Sea Hunter III is a great replacement to the Wenonah. While she doesn't quite have the same space as her predecessor, she makes up for that with speed and ride. Given that she arrives shortly after the Voyageur, she also makes for a perfectly fine 'hiker' boat as well. You're really not losing much time on the trail, and likewise get to see a few other sites, during the tour. The schedule also works very well in using her as a method to return off the Island from a Windigo end point. Given her speed and from what I noticed of how she handled the waves, I'd say if you're someone you doesn't like crossing the big lake, this is your best option to get there.

In talking with Capt Don, there are probably enhancements to come for the Sea Hunter, as this was only her first season as a ferry boat. Even that said, there really aren't many kinks to be worked out!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Sea Hunter III - A review.

Post by fonixmunkee »

Excellent post, with good info. I almost wonder if this shouldn't be sticked in the Transportation subforum? Think you could bold up the times requirement for hikers & day-trippers?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

fonixmunkee wrote:Excellent post, with good info. I almost wonder if this shouldn't be sticked in the Transportation subforum? Think you could bold up the times requirement for hikers & day-trippers?
I've got an even better idea. I've started a thread, "The forum insider's guide to transportation." Kinda a "what I wish I knew" my first time, as well as many of the questions I get when I've given talks on Isle Royale. I see it as being a nice FAQ for transit. I put a Sea Hunter III post in there to get it started, and could do a Voyageur II post if nobody else wants to tackle it.. Fellow forum members, I'll need help with the Ranger, Queen, and Sea Plane. Anyone who wants, feel free to create the post! Copy and follow the format, if it helps, and perhaps to be consistent. Let me know what I missed, and I can edit the post.

We can then sticky that post; perhaps editing annually, and offer it at a great resource.

Similarily, someone could start a "Forum insider's guide to places to stay before your trip" since that also seems to be popular.
Maybe discuss location, amenities, cost, etc...
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

We need a like button. :)

I take my own boat to the island, but this kind of information is absolutely invaluable.

Thanks Tom!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Awesome info, Tom. I agree with your thoughts, a couple sticky threads about the transportation and pre-trip lodging would be a great resource for people new to the whole I.R. experience.
jkallinen
NewbieCake

Post by jkallinen »

Great review Tom, we took the Sea Hunter III on a day trip to Windigo on August 18th. Seas were running 2 to 3ft on the way to Windigo
with a growing SW wind. Return trip was rough, once past Rock of Ages we ran into 4 to 6ft and even up to 8ft and the Sea hunter could
only make about 15mph. Everyone sitting outside was soaked to the bone and most tried to squeeze into the cabin where must stood the
entire trip back. My son and me were sitting on the bench in back closest to the cabin facing forward. Waves were splashing over the cabin
roof down onto us. Was an awesome ride, but cold getting soaked even with rain gear on. My son was showing signs of Hypothermia by time
we docked back in Grand Portage. Was great to get into our van, sitting in the sun all afternoon was a great way to warm back up.

Slide show from trip.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1001jimk/s ... 0462/show/

1080p video on youtube of trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODIQa8V ... rofilepage

Could not get any video past Rock of ages, would have ruined my camera.