New Cabins in Windigo

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: New Cabins in Windigo

Post by Ingo »

marybeth wrote:I'm confused about the 2 new Windigo cabins. How mant bedrooms are there?
Another post stated it's not real easy to get to them. Is there a trail to them or road?
A little off the subject, but I can't find the rental rates of the boats in Windigo.
This will be my first trip to Isle Royale this summer. It's a bit hard to plan the trip. I don't find the sites user friendly.
MaryBeth, no bedrooms, just one room. They are not at all hard to get to, it's a walk up a hill on a well beaten path that goes by the visitor's center and store, and then a small gravel "road" used by golf carts and utility vehicles. If you have more questions, do call or email Forever Resorts (see link in earlier post) as they will have answers to any questions. Also, the boat and canoe rental rates at Windigo are the same as those for the Rock Harbor Marina, also on the same site.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

There is an interior shot of the cabins in today's National Parks Traveller.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I am still trying to understand the price disparity between the camper cabins and the Rock Harbor Lodge. I must have an unusual set of values because the differences in amenities simply does not support a 5 to 1 price differential ($50 vs $250). I was blown away when I discovered that both are operated by the same management.

I think $50 is about right for the camper cabins and I would have already made reservations for this fall if I could figure out my schedule. If the Lodge price was even one half the present rate then it too would be a strong contender. I guess since it's true that something is worth what someone is willing to pay, I'd better shut up before they raise the rates. :idea: :(
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I don't know how much it's changed since I worked in R.H. 30 some yrs ago, but then the park service pretty much set all prices. I assume that they still must approve them at the least. I would guess that the biggest factors are (a) virtually no utility costs (no electric heat, no hot water, no waste water), which are significant on the island, and (b) no additional labor costs for housekeeping, etc (which when I was there was virtually zero, anyways :wink: ) -- I'm guessing they probably just have the store staff sweep them out and not much more. Just speculating, 'cause it is a pretty big difference, but please no one take this as a complaint :) . If they were in Rock Harbor my wife & I would be in one this summer!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

These look pretty nice and convenient. Any plans to build a few of these on Blake Point? :lol:
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

looking forward to seeing the completed cabins
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

As the link in Tampico's post says, these cabins are based on the Michigan State Park system cabin design and have electricity. I've stayed in one of these cabins at Fort Wilkins near Copper Harbor.
They have two bedrooms with bunks and a futon sofa bed in the main room. The bedrooms don't have doors, only curtains you can draw closed. Large windows let in lots of nice light and give a good view of the surroundings. A covered (but not screened) porch is nice, too.
Not for everyone, but I may be able to get my sister and brother-in-law to visit the island finally.

It doesn't look like there are any boat rentals out of Windigo.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

LeftOvers wrote:It doesn't look like there are any boat rentals out of Windigo.
I know the concessionaire has in the past (looked like they had 2 in 2011), but doesn't advertize this on their web page. Has this changed?
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

Ingo wrote:
LeftOvers wrote:It doesn't look like there are any boat rentals out of Windigo.
I know the concessionaire has in the past (looked like they had 2 in 2011), but doesn't advertize this on their web page. Has this changed?
I was going by what I saw on the Lodge's website, no listing for Windigo. Being able to rent a boat with small outboard would help convince my brother-in-law to go (fishing).
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

LeftOvers wrote:I was going by what I saw on the Lodge's website, no listing for Windigo. Being able to rent a boat with small outboard would help convince my brother-in-law to go (fishing).
I've wondered why they don't say anything about Windigo on their website, but they never have. Could be something as simple as they don't have a shop in Windigo to fix something that breaks and they don't want to make any promises. I would drop them a line to confirm availability.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote:I've wondered why they don't say anything about Windigo on their website, but they never have. Could be something as simple as they don't have a shop in Windigo to fix something that breaks and they don't want to make any promises. I would drop them a line to confirm availability.
The Windigo Marina services are listed on their "Gifts and Supplies" link:
https://www.rockharborlodge.com/gifts-and-supplies

The cabins are detailed under the Rock Harbor Lodge link:
https://www.rockharborlodge.com/windigo-camper-cabins

I am intending to rent a Windigo cabin later this year. I just wish they stayed open a little later in September. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Souris I need with me by then. Sadly, the need for 3 passengers went away last week.

Updated to fix Windigo Cabin and Gift Shop/Marina links
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote:The Windigo Marina services are listed on their "Gifts and Supplies" link:
http://www.rockharborlodge.com/gift-shop
Well heck, that's makes sense :?. Anyways, thanks Ed for pointing it out.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote:Well heck, that's makes sense :?.
LOL :shock:

It seems the Windigo operations are sort of a lost orphan for the concessionaire. That can have its advantages though.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

Midwest Ed wrote:
Ingo wrote:The Windigo Marina services are listed on their "Gifts and Supplies" link:
http://www.rockharborlodge.com/gift-shop
Excellent, thanks, Midwest Ed. Maybe we'll get there late in the season.
TofteTom
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TofteTom »

I just returned from 3 nights in the cabin. I used it as a base for day trips, and canoeing with my main "focus" on photography. Couldn't have asked for a better set up. Power to charge batteries for my various photography toys, process images on a laptop (which I did not bring). Other than the bunks, the futon, and a small table and 2 chairs there is nothing in the cabin. No drawers, no hooks for coats, no nothin'. I am not complaining, just relaying. There is a nice ceiling fan that does wonders on a hot day! I have some interior photos to post too.

[picasaimage]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G0XM ... G_0332.JPG[/picasaimage]

[picasaimage]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ev3m ... G_0333.JPG[/picasaimage]