Water taxi ride share anyone? May 31st RH to Moskey? SAVE $$

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Water taxi ride share anyone? May 31st RH to Moskey? SAVE $$

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

I'm one of those guys that likes to plan things waaaaay ahead of time, so I figured I would drop the line in the water now......

UPDATE (3/13): I will be arriving to the island on May 31st via the Queen and I have booked the water taxi from RH to Moskey Basin. The taxi will depart at 12:15, May 31st (Friday). I'm going [strikeout]solo[/strikeout] with a buddy and the cost is $173. If anyone wishes to utilize the other available spots on this boat and save $$, please let me know. I've confirmed that I can modify the number of people on the reservation (provided the slots are still open).

For an example, if 1 other person decideds to join the ride, the cost per person will drop from $181 to $60 per person ($189 to $47.25 for 2 more passengers for a total of 4 on the boat). If you book individually, you will be charged the full price!!!

Also, the costs are from 2012, so they will go up slightly (somewhere in the neighborhood of $5).

If anyone is interested, please lemme know! Thanks!
Last edited by Wilderness Junkie on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Water taxi ride share anyone? May 31st RH to Moskey or C

Post by bergman »

All boat taxis are subject to lake and weather conditions. However, a taxi within Rock Harbor waters is nearly a safe bet to go as scheduled. Since you are hiking, and moskey suits your purposes just as well as chippewa harbor, i wouldn't take a chance on Chippewa. Go with moskey.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

Good call. I figured if I've got the taxi booked, I could always change my destination based on weather conditions. I've hiked Moskey to Lake Ritchie before, but never Chippewa to Lake Ritchie, so it would be a new trail for me. Of coarse anyone sharing the ride would need to be flexible also.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Yes. If the other group sharing the ride with you are canoeing(max 3 persons & 2 boats in this other party); that's a good deal for all involved. Canoers would be happy to trade-in the 2.2 mi portage (moskey to richie) for the 1.2 mi indian portage trail (chip to richie), even with the challenging elevation changes on the indian portage trail.

Unless they arrange for another boat taxi at the end of their trip, or schedule a pick-up at McCargoe Cove by the Voyageur II, they'd have to do the richie-moskey portage again to get back to RockHarbor.

Recognize that the taxi service may not afford you that flexibility (to go to chip) if the weather is nice, if they are planning to do a scheduled pickup at moskey at the same time that they drop you off. Not necessarily all that likely, but it is a possibility.
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

I'm curious. I always thought the water taxi was operated using a per-person (and canoe/kayak) fare.

I don't know what you'd be "sharing" here, besides the ride. Were you trying to save money?
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Taxi cost for one or 2 persons to Chippewa Harbor is $181. Cost for 4 "persons" (3 humans and 1 boat) is $197.

Of course, the reservation must be made in one person's name, and the others are " on their honor" to reimburse this one person.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Even though chippewa is an obviously longer taxi ride compared to moskey basin, moskey costs almost the same, due to the taxi having to respect the no-wake zone for nearly the final 2 miles into moskey, and of course back out again. So they can't run you over to chippewa, and then "zip" into moskey to pick up the other scheduled group (if any). You can call Forever Resorts at their winter phone # @ mammoth cave park in kentucky, and speak directly to Kim Alexander, as he can give you a definitive answer/explanation of how the scenario could play out. Maybe there's no problem at all. But i'd give him a call.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

I don't know what you'd be "sharing" here, besides the ride. Were you trying to save money?
Correct Bergman. The cost is 'per boat ride'. The number of people only moderately changes the price (more than 2 that is) because they have more gear to load I'm assuming. If I take the taxi myself it's $181. If I book it with someone else, it's $90.50 each.

I plan to book the taxi tomorrow to Chippewa Harbor, so I will be the one fronting the $$ so no worries for anyone wanting to share the ride. Based on my dealings with the taxi service on prior trips, I'm guessing they will have no problems with me modifying the # of people. On our last trip, we had a gentleman join us last mintue on our taxi ride and it was no problem.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

Re: Water taxi ride share anyone? May 31st RH to Moskey? SAV

Update: I've booked the water taxi from RH to Moskey Basin on May 31, 2013. The taxi will depart at 12:15 (weather permitting of coarse).

I've updated the main post, so please take a look up there for details if you are interested in sharing the taxi ride and saving $$!!

Thanks!
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

Water taxi ride can share to anyone? This is really interesting, but I want some further information regarding on how much I save when I am going to have and early registration? This is cool because, we are having a trip this coming May and we noticed that you are offering this kind of service and I think this is good.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

This is really interesting, but I want some further information regarding on how much I save when I am going to have and early registration?
naomiswanson, I noticed you are new, welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, the cost saving details are listed in the first post. This basically sums it up:
For an example, if 1 other person decideds to join the ride, the cost per person will drop from $181 to $60 per person ($189 to $47.25 for 2 more passengers for a total of 4 on the boat). If you book individually, you will be charged the full price!!!
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by
when I am going to have and early registration?
. If you are planning a trip in May, you should probably consider booking your trip / ferry ride in the near future. The boat last year at this time was almost full and I would hate to see you miss out on your IR experience!