IR Queen III crashes into rocks

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

IR Queen III crashes into rocks

Post by fonixmunkee »

Looks like the old girl had a rough patch this week, but seems liek it's not too bad.
MARQUETTE -- Passengers aboard the Isle Royale Queen III cruise in Marquette on Tuesday night were given quite a scare when the vessel crashed into rocks.

Around 10:45 p.m., the 75 foot passenger boat was carrying an undisclosed number of tourists and crew members when it crashed. The boat struck rocks underneath the surface of Lake Superior just off Presque Isle Park. There were no injuries reported in the crash.

The U.S. Coast Guard responded to the incident. The boat was able to make it back to Marquette's lower harbor on its own, but Coast Guard officials say the vessel suffered damage to the port propulsion system.

The Isle Royale Three cancelled all cruises this week up until Labor Day Weekend. An exact schedule is expected to be determined by midweek.
Source: http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/new ... hu8DRukpZM
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: IR Queen III crashes into rocks

Post by Ingo »

Sounds like "crashes into rocks" may be somewhat overblown--will be interested to see if there's a more detailed account of exactly what happened.

Also, in case anyone's concerned, it is NOT owned or run by The Isle Royale Line in Copper Harbor (i.e. the Queen IV). The new owners simply kept the old name of the III.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

So the prop touched a rock... it happens.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

drobarge wrote:So the prop touched a rock... it happens.
I've done that it sucks... and it didn't make the paper! Just to be clear this isn't a licensed ferry to and from the island?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Lucky Chicken wrote:Just to be clear this isn't a licensed ferry to and from the island?
No, it does not service I.R. Although it did for a long time until it was replaced by the Queen IV a few years ago.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Ingo wrote:
Lucky Chicken wrote:Just to be clear this isn't a licensed ferry to and from the island?
No, it does not service I.R. Although it did for a long time until it was replaced by the Queen IV a few years ago.
Thanks for the clarification. I almost had a panic attack as we are scheduled to head out to IR next Monday on the Queen IV!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

nebelwerfer41 wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I almost had a panic attack as we are scheduled to head out to IR next Monday on the Queen IV!
Me too. fonixmunkee had me doing a double take for a couple of seconds :oops: as I too will be on the Labor day (Monday) departure.

Hope to see you there.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Shit, sorry everyone! Didn't mean to freak you out! As others clarified, this is NOT the ferry that goes out to IR from the UP! It was up until a few years ago, but now it's just a leisure cruise boat around Marquette. I was just posting the article for those who remember her.

Sorry for the confusion all! My bad!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

fonixmunkee wrote:Didn't mean to freak you out!
No problem. I actually enjoyed the brief adrenaline rush. Between my beta blockers and naps, my heart doesn't get stirred often.

Regarding remembering the Queen 3, I remember her when she was the Queen 2. This was before the Queen 3 had her hull extended by 20 feet or so. I've ridden the Queen 2 in over 10 foot seas, looking up at waves from the trough while it bobbed around like a cork.

There's a genuine reason it was dubbed "The Barf Barge". I can personally attest to it. :mrgreen:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013