Mid-May Trip

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

statsman4
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Mid-May Trip

Post by statsman4 »

There are four of us that plan to arrive on the island (RH) May 17th. I understand services (water taxi, dining, store) are limited to non-existent. Has anyone been on the island this early? Any advice on what to expect? I am also curious as to the likelihood of snow along the Greenstone. Thanks.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Mid-May Trip

Post by Midwest Ed »

The likelihood of snow along the Greenstone Ridge in May is very minimal, but if the Spring is anything like last year I doubt you could get to the Ridge, at least not without snow shoes as the snow remains longer in the lower more covered areas. Last year was VERY unusual due a huge amount of snowfall very late in the winter/early spring. The vast majority fell late in the season. There was just too much recent snow to melt off after it started to warm up.

This is an excellent trip report from Mike and Nancy showing the area around Rock Harbor last May during their "snow camping" experience.

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2175

This year is also unusual in that the snow fall has so far has been very heavy (heavier than normal for recent years anyway) and maybe even more importantly there has been near record cold spells. But the snow is starting to disappear in the Keweenaw, but the is still a ton of it on the ground. I don't know about Minnesota.

http://keweenawcountyonline.org/snowfall.php

I would not get too worried just yet. Keep an eye on the temperatures, any new snowfall and the amount on the ground from the above link (you can also go back a few years). Snow does not stick around all winter, some melts from time to time and it also sublimes (a form of evaporation). Heavy late snow is more of a problem than a lot of snow all winter long.

You can also keep an eye on things via satellite (on days the cloud cover permits)
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdat ... n=s&page=1

{edited to correct link}
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

We were on the island for five days last year starting on 24 May and we liked it a lot. We plan to go back this year for the third week of May. When we got there last year, there were some patches of snow in protected spots. This did not bother us too much as we are primarily kayakers and only do day hikes especially if the lake conditions are unfavorable. The bigger problem with the trails was that the trail maintenance crews had not had a chance to do much yet that year. Some places had a lot of windfalls. On 26 May we hiked to Mt. Franklin from Three Mile campground aand we had no snow and the trail was mostly clear. No real problems. Be prepared for some rather cool weather though and precipitation.

A few words about snow. We live just east of Marquette Mi and our climate is similar to IR's. Snow does stay all winter up here. It does evaporate some, but it lasts from December to April pretty generally. We usually average about thirty inches or so on the ground from the first of the year till spring breakup. New snow just piles on top of the old snow. The old snow hardens and forms a dense crystalized mass that takes a while to melt. New snow melts much faster. The real key to hiking on IR in mid May will be when spring breakup comes. This is when the temperatures get warm and more or less stay above freezing. This is the big unknown at this time. I am really waiting for breakup as we have had a really cold winter up here and have only had about four days above freezing since December. I am tired of shoveling snow off of the roofs of our buildings. I am ready for spring.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I've taken numerous May trips, including "first boat" so a week or two before your time window.
Here is what you should commonly expect:
- Short lines to the biffy. The island is quiet that time of year.
- Great views. Often you can be beating "leaf out" for the spring.
- Snow is not unheard of on the north face of hills and rocks, but it's not going to block your route unless it's a harsh, extended winter with no spring. (Last year.)
- Cold nights. Cold lakes. That post-hike wash up will be quick.
- Few bugs.
- Great conversations. There is a cadre of returning hikers and campers that have discovered May as a great time to be on the Isle. Many know each other, and you'll have a chance to meet them, and hear their stories, as well! It's reunion time!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I agree with Tom. I was on the second boat last year. we saw some snow on the island, but it was more of a curiosity than a barrier. I see two issues (apart from the cold nights) with going that early--last year, there was concern about whether the boats could even get to the island that early and you should expect little trail maintenance that early in the season. I personally think the unobstructed views are worth it. Even Island Mine has views when the leaves are not out yet.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

May is my favorite time of year to go to IR, as well. I've done a May trip for the last 10 years for all the reasons everyone mentioned before my post.

You cannot rely on any services while on IR this early. Every year, it's a game of "when-will-they-open" regarding the stores & other services on IR. It's best to bank on them not being available this early, and then be pleasantly surprised when they are.

Also, as a few have noted, snow is not uncommon on the island given the cold temps and copious amounts of snow. If you are like MikeT & Nancy-early, you may have a concern...especially if paddling. However, I would say last year's weather was a fluke and it wouldn't be as extreme this year. Keep an eye on the NPS' website, as they do a decent job providing updates on conditions.

Also, keep an eye on this forum as there's a lot of insider knowledge about conditions as well...sometimes more reliable than the NPS itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
statsman4
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by statsman4 »

Thanks to all for the very insightful posts. I am so glad I found this forum. We will monitor the situation and just make sure we are prepared for whatever awaits. The snow has melted enough in the Twin Cities to notice we still have sidewalks! Got in a five mile hike around the neighborhood with my new pack so things are looking up!

Thanks again!!

Mike
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I did some calculations based on Keweenaw snowfall records:

Keweenaw Snowfall Data http://keweenawcountyonline.org/snowfall.php

If the remainder of this year is the same as last year (91 inches) then the all time record of 355 inches in 78/79 will be broken by 14 inches.
The present 47 inches on the ground looks impressive but what really matters is the snowfall and temperature going forward.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

In my 6 "first boat" trips (first weekend in May), last year was the only time where snow was a factor. A couple of other times we had snow fall, but it was not a factor. There are usually some patches left in the woods, along the north shoreline and maybe some "skim" ice, but nothing to prevent you from moving. It is a great time of year to go.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
honouredamongfoxes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by honouredamongfoxes »

Hi All,
I'm looking tentatively at a May 14 arrival, non-kayaking, Feldtman loop, maybe Windigo >> Malone, or such. My 5th trip, but only 2nd May trip. I would appreciate further insight from those of you with more experience on your predictions of trail snow conditions. Y'all know a southern boy don't own no crampons...
honouredamongfoxes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by honouredamongfoxes »

[Copper Harbor livecam]
Uh-Oh....

Last year:
http://www.aviewfromthefield.com/k130328.html

Now:
http://www.aviewfromthefield.com/camera/kabcam004.jpg

And last year was the bad one?..??!!
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Eh, the lake and harbor ice can go pretty quick when it wants to. Warm rain some heavy winds will make a heck of a dent. Theres still over a month away from May