Memorial Week transportation

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

back2nature
NewbieCake

Memorial Week transportation

Post by back2nature »

I was planning on a 5 day island trip form 5/26-5/30 from the UP. Will the Queen IV out of Copper Harbour be running on Memorial Day? Do you think reservations (2) are necessary? It looks like the Ranger is not scheduled to run out of Houghton until 5/27? Are there any concerns that ice/weather will push first crossings into June? I kinda need to schedule my days off asap, but dont want to get stranded on the UP (Im sure it's nice and all but really want IR!)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Memorial Week transportation

Post by Ingo »

I'd call or email the folks and ask them directly. Their site says 5/12 but they should know best if that's in danger or not. Any speculation here is going be more speculative than their best guess. http://www.isleroyale.com/schedules-and-fares.html
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

I am scheduled to take the Queen IV on May 12th.I have been in contact with the Captain recently and he will keep me posted as to the trip status. I have just learned that the Park Service is trying to get to the park on Monday May 5th with the help of a coast guard cutter to open the Island up. The ice still looks pretty significant around the south part of IR.As of today the ice coverage of Lake Superior is still around 50%.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

I booked the 23rd on the Queen yesterday. All they can say is wait and see.