Rookie Mistake

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

yooper78
NewbieCake

Rookie Mistake

Post by yooper78 »

we booked the windigo cabins from a Friday to Sunday September 12 thru the 14th...then noticed no other way to get there then sea plane. We were really hoping for the boat for the full experience. Is it possible to go from Michigan to rock harbor and water taxi to Windigo that late in the season?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Rookie Mistake

Post by Midwest Ed »

Unfortunately there is no water taxi service available for you. The service operates from Rock Harbor and does not extend all the way to Windigo, plus they are closed for the season during your scheduled times.

I'm assuming you can't change your reservation, but can you extend your dates and travel via the Voyageur II? Washington Creek campground could be used for Wednesday and Thursday night. You could always go out on Saturday and return on Sunday via the Voyageur II. Given the chance, personally I would prefer to have one night as opposed to nothing, even if I had to drive from the U.P. I'm pretty sure they will let you cancel the Friday cabin with a 10% penalty.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
yooper78
NewbieCake

Post by yooper78 »

Thanks Ed,

Unfortunatly we are limted to the amount of time we can travel and take off work. It looks like we are seaplaning it!
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Well hopefully you haven't take the plane before and this will be an experience that was to eventually occur in the future, but instead it is just happening now. The only thing I would be concerned about is good weather. It is all I'd ever be concerned with if I anted up and paid the hihger rates for the seaplane. You don't want to be delayed in Houghton for a day and not be able to take advantage of the time you took off and the money you spent on the cabin. Not to get you worrying unnecessarily, but just something to keep in mind rather than being side swiped by it should you luck not play in favor of you.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

While bad weather can cause the boats to miss an entire day, the plane is typically delayed for only an hour or two, just long enough for a storm to blow through or some fog to burn off. True enough the saying for the weather UP there, "if you don't like the weather, wait 30 minutes". Unless it's snowing of course, because it can keep that up for days.

Make sure you ask and understand what the concessionaire defines as "full service" for the cabins, as the "full service" ends on September 9th. Do they turn the electricity off? What about the propane grill? Once you find out, please post the knowledge here. Even if you end up "roughing it" I'm sure you will have an excellent time and when you get home please let us all know how things turned out.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013