Water Taxi

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

LarryEngel
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Water Taxi

Post by LarryEngel »

We will be taking 2 water taxi's when we are on Isle Royale August 10 from Rock Harbor to Chippewa Harbor and again August 14 from Moskey Basin back to Rock Harbor.
Is it correct to tip the driver for the service?

I have done so in the past.

Maybe a better way to ask this question is;
Is this a Taxi driver that gets paid almost enough to just stay alive and relies on tips to live or is this a National Park Service Employee that gets paid just enough to survive and that's okay as long as they can live on IRNP for 5 months.
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Re: Water Taxi

Post by Donk_67 »

I believe the water taxi is a private enterprise run by the lodge, so the employee wouldn't be an official gov't employee. I suppose if I could afford the water taxi, I might be inclined to tip the driver...then again I don't plan to tip the pilot who's flying me over to the island. Just my opinion.
ISROFAN
NewbieCake

Post by ISROFAN »

I used the water taxi last year to Chippewa Harbor, the
Captain of the boat told me he was a retired ranger. The water taxi is owned by Forever Resorts and he was doing it because he wanted 5 months on the Island. I tipped him well. He had tons of information about the island and actes as à tour guide all the way there.
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

How much is the water taxi to Chippewa Harbor from RH? I want to take it next year.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

MattC wrote:How much is the water taxi to Chippewa Harbor from RH? I want to take it next year.
It varies by how many people are riding, distance to destination, and can change each year. For the "freshest" cost, your best bet is to look it up at http://www.rockharborlodge.com/water-taxi
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Thanks for the link. $195 to Chippewa seems a little pricy but it'll save us a lot of time which makes it worth it.
Are these private or park owned boats they take us on? I guess that would determine an appropriate number for a tip.
srparr
Trailblazer

Post by srparr »

They are owned & operated by the concessionaire, Forever Resorts, as is the Rock Harbor Lodge & Wendigo store.

The group I usually go with has a limited amount of vacation time, and it has to include travel to/from the island. For us the decision to use the taxi or not depends on how far out into the back country we want to start or finish a trip.

While expensive, I usually rationalize it that we are buying time on the island. We could hike for a day or two to get to Chippewa, or use the taxi ride to "buy back" a couple days of our vacation (which lets us explore further into the island while we are there ... or even just relax longer at certain places!)
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

That's pretty much what I was thinking with "buying back" days. Are they able to take us right when we get off the Queen? I assume they will with a reservation but I'd hate to burn a day at Rock Harbor. Even though it was fun being in "civilzation" for our last night.
srparr
Trailblazer

Post by srparr »

I've always made a reservation as there are only a couple water taxis and they do get booked up.

With a reservation before we get there, we've sometimes had to wait a few hours for the taxi to return from another drop off, but usually manage to get out of Rock Harbor the same day we arrive. Without a reservation you are at the mercy of how busy the island is.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Great! Thanks for the tips! Next year we plan to go later in the season. Island was filled with loud obnoxious people last week during peek.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Try November ....I hear it is real quiet and peaceful that time of year ....noooo obnoxious people what so ever ;) . But you will be out of luck on the water taxi .....but hey no tip for the driver :) ....remember it is only illegal if you get caught!!!! :)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Does the water taxi only run out of Rock Harbor?
srparr
Trailblazer

Post by srparr »

tree rattt wrote:Does the water taxi only run out of Rock Harbor?
Yes
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Thanks srparr.
Back to the drawing board i guess :)
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

A message for Tightlines.

I see you're taking the water taxi from Rock Harbor to the Lookout Louise dock.

Do you have a phone number for a reservation and cost of the boatride?

Wally
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH