Former LEO from IR writes book about his experiences

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Former LEO from IR writes book about his experiences

Post by johnhens »

Cliff Edwards spent most of his time as a Ranger on Isle Royale, stationed at Malone Bay. We became friends after a few trips to Malone Bay in the Spring and Fall. When I was doing Volunteer projects, he would stop by and say hello. Before he was a Ranger for the NPS, he was an officer and detective for the MI State Police. He wrote a book about his experiences here and at other NPS sites. He is offering his book at a 30% discount to the Forum members and will make a donation to The Wolf Moose study for each book bought. See the attached link for more information. After clicking on the link, if you want the book, enter 4UD4ZEJF for the discount in the box on the checkout page labeled Apply Discount.

https://www.createspace.com/4484225
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Former LEO from IR writes book about his experiences

Post by fonixmunkee »

Copy purchased. I'll be giving it a read upon its arrival. Thanks for sharing, John.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Former LEO from IR writes book about his experiences

Post by fonixmunkee »

I forgot to post a little review of Ranger Clif's book. I finished it a few weeks ago.

This was a decent read overall. Ranger Clif divides the book up into three main parts: first, his indoctrination into the Park Service, followed by his time on Isle Royale, then in the Everglades, and ending with his time at Pictured Rocks. I skimmed over the part about his training; I had a good understanding already of the requirements, and I also knew of Clif's background. Besides, I was here to read about Isle Royale.

The section Ranger Clif talks about Isle Royale is by far the largest--and most interesting--part of the book. The pages are filled with tales of Isle Royale...the law-abiders, law-breakers, the injured hikers, the friends Clif made...all of it interesting, none of it boring. I learned a few things about IR that I hadn't known before...such as how the Island operates and the culture of the Park Service therein.

I also skimmed over the part about the Everglades, because--this is not a joke--I despise Florida. Sorry for being mean about it.

The Pictured Rocks section was also very entertaining. I have never been there, but know of it in great details due to this forum and many friends who frequent the park. Ranger Clif's account of the place moves it up in my bucket list, too.

One of my biggest take-aways from the book is how many people take the park system--and the wilderness as whole--for granted. As I read it, the biggest threat to Isle Royale was the visitors. Hikers who disobeyed the simple rules and boaters who didn't think they'd get caught were the most prevalent stories. When confronted, I was also amazed at how disobedient many visitors were when confronted by an armed law enforcement agent. At one point, a visitor even told Ranger Clif that they didn't have to listen to him! He has a badge and a gun, for crying out loud!

Over my years at Isle Royale, I had heard stories of the Ranger at Malone. He was detailed to me as steadfast and too serious about his job...even launching investigations when garbage was found in the biffs. Many people disregarded this Ranger and his behavior as him being bored, but after reading the book, I understand why Ranger Clif did what he did...because if people thought they could get away with it they would continue to get away with it. Fortunately, he was there to defend the Island from the visitors.

If you want a great glimpse into the inner-workings of the Park Service Law Enforcement Officer's life, the behind-the-scenes of Isle Royale, and/or some great stories about this incredible National Park, this book is the closest you can probably find. I'd first recommend buying a copy as a large amount of the profits go to some great causes, but I'll then offer up my copy to anyone who wants to read it.

Thanks John for sharing this link, and thanks Ranger Clif for the good read!