Rock Harbor Lodge ?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Fastcat
NewbieCake

Rock Harbor Lodge ?

Post by Fastcat »

We were thinking about staying in Rock Harbor Lodge on the last day after our backpacking trip and was wondering if it was worth staying there or if we'd be better off just camping in Rock Harbor ? This is our first time to the Island and wanted some feedback on this, Thanks !
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rock Harbor Lodge ?

Post by Ingo »

It's a personal preference. Myself, I'd just as soon be in a shelter in the open air, sleeping in a sleeping bag on a hard floor--I'll be back to the so-called comforts of home soon enough. But I do understand the appeal of a bed and personal bath/shower. Also depends on the weather and conditions--if I'm already wet, muddy, and cold, and it isn't warm and sunny, I might reconsider my position :). But you can't predict that.

I have stayed in the lodge for a few nights on a non-camping trip. The room was recently remodeled and the deck on the edge of water (1st floor) was wonderful. Otherwise, it's a basic motel room. The housekeeping cabins (duplexes) are up on the hill away from the water. Last time I was there they were clearing some trees to provide something of a view of Tobin Harbor.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Fastcat
NewbieCake

Post by Fastcat »

Does the lodge book up early on?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I know folks have come off the trail and got a room before, but I really don't know. You'd have to call them and decide whether you want to take your chances or not. Obviously the only night that matters is the one you'll be there.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Fastcat
NewbieCake

Post by Fastcat »

Yes, we called and they said they are full that night, hope we can get a campsite in Rock Harbor, what happens if they are all occupied ? Do they have an overflow area for hikers ? This is our first trip and we are a little nervous about that.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Just double up on a tent site. It’s no big deal. You’ll find a spot.